Ruger American .223 Rem with 1/8 twist

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently purchased the above rifle and am wanting advise about best bullet weight. I purchased some 55 gr. in Win., Rem, and Hornady and shot some groups. The Win 55gr FMJ wanted to shoot (one hole group with flyers at 50 yds), I shot the Rem and Hor. at 100 yds and groups were about 2-2 1/2 inches. I have a very solid bench at fifty, but was shooting across the back of my ATV with bags at 100 and was not very steady. I don,t hand load, so am wondering what factory loading would you recommend. I don,t want to buy a lot of different brands and bullet weights until I can figure out a starting point.

So If anyone has any experience with a .223 bolt gun, I could use some recommendations. I have read a lot of the reviews on Midway USA and most were for AR type rifles, and the ammo seemed to be all over the place. I don,t think I can find a bullet weight from the AR reviews. A little help please.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i am not one for one hole shooting but for deer hunting these are accurate, i have killed 7 deer with 7 shots, and not one derr ran far. federal XXXXX shock bullets

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I don,t plan to hunt deer. I bought the gun for coyotes that have been hanging around my door yard. I got one the other morning at about 175 yards with a Rem 55 gr. soft point, but I don,t have confidence in the accuracy. Altho the 4+ pound trigger pull probably has some thing to do with that. I adjusted the trigger as light as it would go and I will see.

I will try the 60-65 grn bullets and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom