Ruger American Predator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally talked a buddy of mine into buying this rifle in 243. I ran him over to Murfs on Thursday and picked it up so yesterday was range day. This thing will be a shooter. It hated the cheap Federal stuff he bought to break the barrel in but when we started going through the handloads it started to show promise. Not so much on the light loads but when we got the fps up it was doing under 1" with 4 shot groups. I know, we usually do at least 5 shots but we had limited slugs at the time. In case anyone was wondering, that gun with a 9" twist will shot Hornady 105gr HPBT match bullets when you get up close to 2800fps. He bought some RL19 yesterday to try to up the fps and another box of slugs and loaded a bunch last night. We shall see what this little gun will really do pretty soon. As it sits now its an easy 1000yd+ gun for $439 out the door.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always liked 243, and 7mm08. Faster follow ups than 308 and they don't need to be as heavy

Would like to see a 6.5 based on the 308Win case

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is one. 260 Remington. Factory gun and ammo available. There is a used VTR with a magpul stock and viper hslr at Jerrys in ardmore right now.
That's right, Forgot about 260rem, wish it was more popular.

Its not offered on the Ruger American, though there is the 6.5 creed.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally talked a buddy of mine into buying this rifle in 243. I ran him over to Murfs on Thursday and picked it up so yesterday was range day. This thing will be a shooter. It hated the cheap Federal stuff he bought to break the barrel in but when we started going through the handloads it started to show promise. Not so much on the light loads but when we got the fps up it was doing under 1" with 4 shot groups. I know, we usually do at least 5 shots but we had limited slugs at the time. In case anyone was wondering, that gun with a 9" twist will shot Hornady 105gr HPBT match bullets when you get up close to 2800fps. He bought some RL19 yesterday to try to up the fps and another box of slugs and loaded a bunch last night. We shall see what this little gun will really do pretty soon. As it sits now its an easy 1000yd+ gun for $439 out the door.
Very cool. Post pic's when you can. Nice of you to help your buddy get it tuned. What kind of glass have on it?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Forgot to mention. Some, not all, of the factory stocks touch on the left and bottom left of the stock. A minute of sanding will make it completely free float IF its touching.

Latest posts

Top Bottom