Surprised by my Predator Generator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have been having trouble with our electricity here at our studio for the past month. Out of nowhere, half of the lights and AC would just go out. Sometimes it would come back on in a few minutes and sometimes it would be a few hours. Our landlord had his guys come out a few times to work on it but they never could fix it and finally he called a electric company to come look at it. They found the problem right away. It was the box out in the back where OG&E comes into the building. It was completely bunt up and arcing really bad. They said it was amazing that it hasn't already caught fire.
They left to go get a new box and all the components they needed to replace the whole thing. Well needless to say they had to turn all the power off and it was off for about 4 hours.

We were just going to close for the day and let them do their thing until I remembered that I had an old Predator 4000 generator that I bought at Harbor Freight in the garage. I hadn't used it or started it in about 4 years, and it still had a full tank of gas. I pulled it outside choked it and that baby started right up. I ran extension cords for the lights/lamps, DJ booth and the office for the computers.
Ran to 7-11 and filled up the extra gas tank and she ran nonstop with no problem for the 4 plus hours. It saved our day. I was really impressed with it.
I am planning on getting is all cleaned up and will start it more often in case we need it again.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have been having trouble with our electricity here at our studio for the past month. Out of nowhere, half of the lights and AC would just go out. Sometimes it would come back on in a few minutes and sometimes it would be a few hours. Our landlord had his guys come out a few times to work on it but they never could fix it and finally he called a electric company to come look at it. They found the problem right away. It was the box out in the back where OG&E comes into the building. It was completely bunt up and arcing really bad. They said it was amazing that it hasn't already caught fire.
They left to go get a new box and all the components they needed to replace the whole thing. Well needless to say they had to turn all the power off and it was off for about 4 hours.

We were just going to close for the day and let them do their thing until I remembered that I had an old Predator 4000 generator that I bought at Harbor Freight in the garage. I hadn't used it or started it in about 4 years, and it still had a full tank of gas. I pulled it outside choked it and that baby started right up. I ran extension cords for the lights/lamps, DJ booth and the office for the computers.
Ran to 7-11 and filled up the extra gas tank and she ran nonstop with no problem for the 4 plus hours. It saved our day. I was really impressed with it.
I am planning on getting is all cleaned up and will start it more often in case we need it again.
life is good when you got backup power. Good feedback about the harbor freight genny.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, my Predator 3500 performs similar to the OP's 4000 version. Yeah, I was skeptical about buying from Harbor Freight but this has surpassed my expectations. Usually have to run it 1 or 2 times a year. Nephew borrowed it a couple of years ago when bad ice storm took power out. They ran it pretty much non-stop for 3 days without any issue other than having to clean out the spark/flame arrestor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom