S&W 686 plus or Colt Python

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look people. The 686 is said to be the poor man's Python. Well, the 686 is just a pistol, nothing more. The Python on the other hand is the greatest handgun ever made. No other handgun can make you better looking, smarter, and even richer just by possessing one. Python owners are just better people. Just look at Starsky and Hutch, who is your favorite? Hutch right? Because he carried a Python. What about Rick Grimes in the Walking Dead, he's the best actor because he carries a Python. If you get shot by a Python it's called getting snake bit. How cool is that! And another thing, it don't matter what barrel length your Python is, it's always the prettiest gun in the room. If you pull out your Python and lay it on the table, it doesn't matter if it has an 8 inch, 4 inch or even a 2 inch. People are going to want to look at and even hold it. Not so with the 686. So the answer my friend is definitely the 686. Owning the Python comes with great responsibility, people expect more from you, even want to be like you. Not everyone can own a Python, but anyone can own a 686, just sayin.
Sounds like some thing Texas Ranger Walker would carry.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lot easier to get a Smith worked on than a Colt. Don’t know about the newer Colts but the older ones were known to develop timing issues if shot a lot, particularly with warmer loads.
The older ones were getting hard to find someone to work on them, the newer ones are not hand fitted, so parts are interchangeable and should be much easier to get repaired. Also, supposedly the problem with them getting out of time has been addressed with a more robust trigger system, although they may need to be around a little longer to know for sure.

Sneeker

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve owned 3 Pythons. One I put at least 2000 rounds through, probably more. Never ever an issue. I’ve also owned several Smiths. All nice guns, but I would pick the Python every time.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
686's are my favorite revolver, I've got a 6" -3 from '89 and 4" -6 that was made earlier this year and my stepdad has a 6" SS Python I grew up shooting. The Python beats my newer 686-6 as far as the trigger goes and in looks, IMO, the Python wins again. However, my 20 year old 686-3 has been well treated by me and previous owners and it's trigger easily matches the Python.
Both will hold value just fine, but the Python will be worth a lot more in the long run compared to your initial cost. If you're looking for something to really increase in worth, the 686 just can't compete w/ a Python. In my area used the 586 and 686's run $400-550, while I've never seen a Python for under $1K. For just a shooter, I'd have to go w/ the 686. Pythons make great shooters too, but I couldn't bring it to the range everytime like I do w/ my 686's knowing in a few years they may be going for $3-5K used while 686's will be selling for a 1/4 of that new.
I haven't seen a $400 586/686 in many years. They are double that now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom