SA/DA VS Striker/SA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, it's nice of you to say that, but I'm not into dudes. ;)

I did, on the first page of the thread.
I used the word cute as opposed to smartass. Under your theory the chances for a negligent discharge are the same for a Glock, wheelgun, or a DA/SA. Now that's hogwash and anyone who has carried different types of pistols knows it. According to you a Glock is just as safe as a cocked and locked 1911. In the real world that is ********.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used the word cute as opposed to smartass. Under your theory the chances for a negligent discharge are the same for a Glock, wheelgun, or a DA/SA. Now that's hogwash and anyone who has carried different types of pistols knows it. According to you a Glock is just as safe as a cocked and locked 1911. In the real world that is ********.
If you take any of these pistols:

Beretta 92G
Beretta 92D
S&W Model 27
S&W Model 686
Colt Python
Colt Highway Patrolman
SIG P22x-series pistol

and blindly shove them into a holster with an obstruction in the trigger guard, they'll go bang, just like a Glock.

All of those pistols have something in common--they use hammers, not strikers. I only picked out a few examples, but it applies basically across the range of DA wheelguns and DAO semis, very few of which have manual safeties.

You're entitled to your opinion, but claiming that striker-fired pistols are inherently more dangerous to carry than anything else is just a logical fallacy. The safety is between the ears, not on the gun; a careless gun handler is a careless gun handler, whether he's jamming a pistol into a holster without making sure the trigger guard is clear or forgetting to set the manual safety on a 1911.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you take any of these pistols:

Beretta 92G
Beretta 92D
S&W Model 27
S&W Model 686
Colt Python
Colt Highway Patrolman
SIG P22x-series pistol

and blindly shove them into a holster with an obstruction in the trigger guard, they'll go bang, just like a Glock.

All of those pistols have something in common--they use hammers, not strikers. I only picked out a few examples, but it applies basically across the range of DA wheelguns and DAO semis, very few of which have manual safeties.

You're entitled to your opinion, but claiming that striker-fired pistols are inherently more dangerous to carry than anything else is just a logical fallacy. The safety is between the ears, not on the gun; a careless gun handler is a careless gun handler, whether he's jamming a pistol into a holster without making sure the trigger guard is clear or forgetting to set the manual safety on a 1911.

Sometimes the time and ability to look into the holster or to fumble around trying to feel if something's inside are expensive luxuries - not all shooting happens at the range. Each of those hammer-fired pistols make it easy to add that slight bit of extra safety to reholstering (even "blindly") just by thumbing the hammer on the way in, any movement of which would instantly alert them to any obstruction. While this extra measure of safety is still between the ears, it's also an extra measure of safety that is quite simply not possible with a striker-fired pistol.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While this extra measure of safety is still between the ears, it's also an extra measure of safety that is quite simply not possible with a striker-fired pistol.
It's also not possible (or useful) on a SA (or cocked DA/SA) semi--by the time you feel the hammer move, it'll be too late. I also suspect that the sample size of people who will do what you suggest, particularly under stress, is vanishingly small...

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's also not possible (or useful) on a SA (or cocked DA/SA) semi--by the time you feel the hammer move, it'll be too late. I also suspect that the sample size of people who will do what you suggest, particularly under stress, is vanishingly small...

First of all it's not normal operation to carry a DA/SA pistol cocked - aside from defeating the purpose of the design it's not necessary. If you've never tried it with a DA/SA pistol in its normal DA (uncocked) mode give it a shot some time and see.

In most DA/SA pistols with no manual safety the DA trigger pull is already longer and harder than that of the typical striker fired pistol. Adding a little counter force on the hammer translates to even more force required on the trigger than usual, increasing even more the probability that one will notice "something's not right" when holstering. Once a person develops the habit of holstering a gun the same way every time all the time the chances are greatly decreased that they'd do it any other way under stress.

So, while the pistols themselves may be equally safe in all other regards, there remains an opportunity for additional safety for those with a hammer that is not available on those without. How much benefit is gained from that may well depend on the shooter's technique, the situation, and any of a variety of other factors, but the potential does exist in much the same way that a manual safety provides the capability for safer operation but actually provides that safety only if it's used.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all it's not normal operation to carry a DA/SA pistol cocked - aside from defeating the purpose of the design it's not necessary. If you've never tried it with a DA/SA pistol in its normal DA (uncocked) mode give it a shot some time and see.
I've never tried to holster my SIG while it was cocked, but when you're talking about holstering where you can't verify that the holster is clear, you're already talking about an atypical situation. It's not inconceivable that one could find oneself holstering a cocked DA/SA pistol (possibly unintentionally) in such a situation.
So, while the pistols themselves may be equally safe in all other regards, there remains an opportunity for additional safety for those with a hammer that is not available on those without.
My point was that this "safety" feature doesn't even apply across the board to hammer-fired pistols--f'rinstance, it doesn't apply to the Colt 1911, Colt 1903 (which has a hammer, just not an exposed hammer), or to wheelguns with shrouded hammers. If you want to say that DA exposed-hammer semis and wheelguns have a minor advantage over other semis and wheelguns, I'll grant you that, but it still doesn't make striker-fired pistols "more dangerous to carry."

Latest posts

Top Bottom