Safe Delivery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guys at Mayfair Lock estimate this safe (antique bank vault) weighs around 3500lbs based off their experience. After I told a buddy their quote to move it, he said he thought we could get a few people and do it ourselves (knowing I was on crutches and worthless). Being that I was probably on Hydrocodone when he suggested it, I thought it sounded like a great idea.:smash:

The wheels don't swivel so it only rolls sideways by itself. You can get a pallet jack under the front though. It also has to be sideways to fit through the doorways. So pull it out of the hole where cabinets are built around it, bring it out to the center of the office and push it against the far wall to align it with office door. Pull pallet jack out of room, push safe out door into hallway with half your manpower because when the safe hits the doorway everyone in the office is now trapped. Hallway crew stabs it with pallet jack and pulls it from doorway. Turn it 90* IN THE HALLWAY :eek2:. Push it down the hall through another doorway, around the corner and up to exterior door. Back wrecker up to exterior door, winch safe through last doorway directly onto bed. The guys I brought were absolute monsters as well. It took us 2 hours to get it out of the building.

I'd have paid to watch them get it into the office 30 years ago. Do you know how hard it is to turn a 40" wide, ~3500lb safe in a 48" hallway on carpet? And to hit 32" doorways with a 30.5" deep safe sideways when it doesn't steer? I think I may just sell it with my house whenever that is. :rotflmao:

Here are pics with the security crew.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope your floor can support it. You might come home in a few months and find it sunk in about halfway.

Good looking swampers got there.

Sent from Missile Silo 341A

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I moved a safe a bit larger than that in my wife's museum. I brought out my wheel dollies and moved it with those and a floor jack. Sucked. The main issue was that it had a busted wheel.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only the green shirt is my son. The other is my buddy's son. I have placed it specifically in an area for the weight. It sure wasn't where I wanted to put it, but it was placed specifically for the structural issues.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good deal, would have hated to see it fail. Heck of a safe man and a little Oklahoma gun history too. Congrats!

Sent from Missile Silo 341A

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw that safe when I looked through the OAS inventory before the auction and thought it was cool. Had no idea it weighed that much though.

Your story made this memory come back to me.
Years ago I knew two sisters who bought a plastic kiddie pool on clearance from a TG&Y that was closing. They got some twine and tied it to the roof of a Ford Falcon to get it home. I still recall the look on their faces when they pulled in their driveway, and their story about having to reach out the windows and hold in down for about half of the trip.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I moved a safe a bit larger than that in my wife's museum. I brought out my wheel dollies and moved it with those and a floor jack. Sucked. The main issue was that it had a busted wheel.

It was common practice to bust a wheel off on a safe to make sure someone could nor steal it.
I would think most thieves are too lazy to move 3500 lbs. :zzz2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom