saiga 12 optic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions for a mount and optic for a saiga I just converted to. use for HD. I really want to use the factory side attachment point with a quick detach mount that hugs the reciever pretty tight. I do not want to be able to use the iron sights with the mount on. Also I have no idea on an optic... maybe something slimmer than an eotech . Also this thing already wieghs like eleventeen pounds. So. something not too bulky would be good. If anyone has any input on this it would be a great help.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sending my money off to those Communists! Jk. I do like that aimpoint mount. I have always used holo sights I wonder if I could get used to an inclosed red dot.I like a few of their optics but they all mount really high. There is a picture of a Guy holding an AK with an aimpoint if you go through the pictures of that mount. And I really like the way that looks.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
May I ask why you'd want an optic on a HD shotgun? A bead is the fastest sighting method for a shotgun and unless you're needing to precisely place slugs at extended range, I don't see the need. You'd be best served with a speed bead, preferrably with tritium and use the money saved on a quality light setup. Best of both worlds with no unnecessary expense. JMO, YMMV

If you must have an optic, I'd recommend getting an Aimpoint or something self powered like the Trijicon offerings. For HD, the last thing you want to contend with is turning something on or encountering a dead battery.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i probably will not have the optic mounted for HD. i already have a light. Thats why i want the quick detach mount. its just something i want to have i guess. something i could use to shoot pumpkins at 30 yards quickly, just fun stuff.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
x2 for the RS AKM mount with a 30mm Aimpoint. This keeps it nice and low over the bore so you don't need a cheek riser. The Aimpoint has a 3+ year battery life, so you can leave it on all the time. This is good for HD because you can just grab it and go... no need to fumble in the dark trying to turn on your dot before you put your shotgun into action. An Aimpoint would be ideal, but that RS AKM mount would work with any of the cheaper clones as well.

Here is what that setup would look like. Pretty bad ass if you ask me:

i176.photobucket.com_albums_w167_DefConNC_AKM_20mount_DSC00949.jpg

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing about the UTG mount and others of that sort is that they place the optic too high, and require a raised cheek rest for a proper shooting position, which then has to be removed if you take off the optic to go back to iron sights. The RS AKM mount puts a 30mm tube optic as low as possible over the bore, so that it works with the factory comb height.

Sure you can half-ass it and use a chin weld or have your head bobbing around in space, but it is poor form. When it comes to a serious use like home defense, I say do it right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom