Scales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which powder scale is the best overall and then which is the best for the money? I have a little Hornady electronic one and it seems to fluctuate a few 1/10s of a grain which makes me a little nervous. Any recommendations/advice?

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had bought the nice dillon originally but it died after a few short years and I was super pissed and swore never again would an electric scale hold me back from loading. So I'm in the dark ages with my balance beam.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought Alank2's post from another thread was informative about electronic scales.

http://www.okshooters.com/showthrea...l-measure-your-powder&highlight=powder+scales

Hi,

I've got a RCBS 750 which is a great little digital scale. Those scale/dispensers are also pretty sharp.

I'm going to say however that if you want true repeatable accuracy that you might want to consider a beam scale! The reason is that digital scales all have a load cell at their heart and load cells fluctuate. They usually deal with this by constantly rezeroing themselves when nothing is on the pan. That is why many of them have a -0- indicator. While at zero, very small changes in the load cell are ignored and assumed to be the "real zero". Once you add a measureable quantity to the pan it leaves zero and will no longer recalibrate, but remember that the longer you are off of zero the longer that load cell has to wander a bit and your weight be off. So, digital scales are really great for fast measurements. Let it zero, put on the item, get the weight, remove the item, let it zero, repeat. I'm not saying it will do a bad job with high accuracy, there are certainly high accuracy digital scales, just that most of the ones you see for reloading do tend to wander a bit. If you want to spend $300+ on an industrial or lab type scale, that would do better.

Good luck,

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom