• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

[Sale/Trade] Scammer response

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valued members, we are having a hard time keeping the spammers, scammers and con artists in check. If any one of you even sniff a little stench let the mod group know ASAP. Folks at this point I/we/mods would say unless you know the person or it is a known reputable business we suggest keeping all transactions to a "face to face " cash only basis. It is only a suggestion but buyer beware, we are being hammered constantly by these dirtbags.

We do not want to limit legit new contributing members with post counts but if any of you folks with some ideas on how we can help discourage these jokers please chime in.
I am new to
Valued members, we are having a hard time keeping the spammers, scammers and con artists in check. If any one of you even sniff a little stench let the mod group know ASAP. Folks at this point I/we/mods would say unless you know the person or it is a known reputable business we suggest keeping all transactions to a "face to face " cash only basis. It is only a suggestion but buyer beware, we are being hammered constantly by these dirtbags.

We do not want to limit legit new contributing members with post counts but if any of you folks with some ideas on how we can help discourage these jokers please chime in.
I am new to Oklahoma Shooters and being a member on few other sites like AR15.com, ZIdaho, Washington Arms Collectors, etc. and I have seen much of the same type of scamming of members there also. I truly believe in FTF as the best way of doing business between members but there is some danger in doing trades that way also. I will post on a blog sometime what happened to me. Doing business in front of a Police Station is good unless some LEO walks over and asks what's up and out comes CWP and ID and then maybe the gun your buying from the other guy is stolen (happened to a friend of mine). The other guy bought it at a Gun Show in Centralia, WA. It took awhile to resolve that one. I always set up a meet and either a friend or one of my (Armed) sons, daughters or my wife go with me and I pick a place in my area like Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, Wally World or a populated Strip Mall. Must have either a CWP or a Idaho DL. FTF is great but the person who wants to buy/sell/trade lives a hundred or so miles away? I have never had a problem with doing it this way and I was able to find the firearm I wanted to, buy ,sell or trade one. I am willing to ship/receive after we seal the deal I want a IM, post in the thread, email message and phone number so I can talk to buyer/seller. I wait about three days and then call buyer/seller/ trader and verify his FFL is/was being sent my FFL by Fax or a Blue over and then I wait. I have only had bad deal with one site: ARMSLIST. And have found out over the years there have been many others ripped off there.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on that note I do a buttload of driving to all corners for work, landmark pictures will start at $5 a pop, $10 for ones without toes in them.

I do like this idea though, requiring some type of photo proof maybe with a date or time stamp so they can’t pull crap from Google. It could be faked but it would take more effort than most of them want to invest

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap, I agree with these two. We could take a page out of the long range hunting forum and require people to post pictures, with their username and a date or location or something writing in the picture as well. Not photoshopped, just written on a post it or something. It’s simple enough anyone here can do it, and I’ve yet to see a scammer post pictures of their own guns, so it should be much much easier to vet.
Give people one warning, after that start deleting their listings for not following rules.
Scammers also take pictures of the weapon they supposedly have to sell. They block out the serial number so it can't be traced to them. I see a lot of this on sites for firearms for sale. I have bought FTF guns over the years many of them with the serial number either smeared or taped out in the Guns for Sale Ad's and the seller checked out. I never asked why they did this but I am going to go on ARFcom or Zidaho and find one so marked and ask why they did so.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the owner and mods, there's a reason Armslist and others are requiring more information or a paid subscription. It helps weed out the scammers/shady ones. With no barrier, we are the craigslist of arms classifieds and it shows. To be honest with you, I've had better luck listing on armslist than here, pains me to say that but it's true.

Either way, it's my opinion that some kind of barrier be put up. I've been a long time fan of a post count entry barrier and I'm not so sure it shouldn't be as hight as 500. JMO.
One would be hard to find staying on the site long enough to post 500 posts just to be able buy or sell. As far as armslist I was ripped off there a number of years back and got no help from them on the issue except I was told to get LEO involved. Over the years I have been told a lot of scamming happens on their site. I believe members should support the Site they use to hawk their wares on such as this one here, OKS.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect, how do you advise /welcome new members to become involved in the purchasing/selling & trading aspects of this site ?
I'm relatively new here, and have have met great people, had good experiences.
I think I've used common sense ( see my earlier reply) setting up meetings. But this wouldn't have happened if everyone followed your policy of not dealing with new members.
Just asking

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
I typically give the seller my cell number, we normally will connect via text then voice, common sense goes a long way, if folks are willing to communicate, I don’t have time to **** around. Beside, all this high priced stuff in the classifieds forgetaboutit:)

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I typically give the seller my cell number, we normally will connect via text then voice, common sense goes a long way, if folks are willing to communicate, I don’t have time to **** around. Beside, all this high priced stuff in the classifieds forgetaboutit:)
Yeah, $50 will sure bankrupt someone.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am new to

I am new to Oklahoma Shooters and being a member on few other sites like AR15.com, ZIdaho, Washington Arms Collectors, etc. and I have seen much of the same type of scamming of members there also. I truly believe in FTF as the best way of doing business between members but there is some danger in doing trades that way also. I will post on a blog sometime what happened to me. Doing business in front of a Police Station is good unless some LEO walks over and asks what's up and out comes CWP and ID and then maybe the gun your buying from the other guy is stolen (happened to a friend of mine). The other guy bought it at a Gun Show in Centralia, WA. It took awhile to resolve that one. I always set up a meet and either a friend or one of my (Armed) sons, daughters or my wife go with me and I pick a place in my area like Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, Wally World or a populated Strip Mall. Must have either a CWP or a Idaho DL. FTF is great but the person who wants to buy/sell/trade lives a hundred or so miles away? I have never had a problem with doing it this way and I was able to find the firearm I wanted to, buy ,sell or trade one. I am willing to ship/receive after we seal the deal I want a IM, post in the thread, email message and phone number so I can talk to buyer/seller. I wait about three days and then call buyer/seller/ trader and verify his FFL is/was being sent my FFL by Fax or a Blue over and then I wait. I have only had bad deal with one site: ARMSLIST. And have found out over the years there have been many others ripped off there.

https://www.hotgunz.com/

Cdubya

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am pretty sure topoccxx is a scammer. Opened an account in May. Responded to me on WTB ad with a phone number. I responded if local in Oklahoma City. I didn’t hear back. Probably trying the send me money and I will ship to you scam.
I just got a message from this guy today.
Same strategy

Latest posts

Top Bottom