School Lunch--Yum, Yum OR Barf, Barf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be fair... The average school lunches are probably more nutritious now than they have been since the 50's or 60's when they still served real foods.
I don't know about the 70's, I'm not old, but I imagine it was all about schools getting the most bulk garbage for the least amount of money. The 80's saw a packed lunch liberation in my generation with the invention of 99% sodium Lunchables etc... and the 90's was when my high-school started gaving you a choice of Domino's or Taco Bell/Taco Stop...

Our US Education system is years behind the rest of the developed first world... why is it any surprise our school lunch systems are too?

Some argue that Sweden has some of the best, but France has gained the title in the last few years.

sweden.jpg
skorea.jpg
sweden2.jpg

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is certainly interesting what our elected leaders deem appropriate. Back in CA I lived with a couple for a short while(rented a room from them) and the wife ran an in home daycare that got government funding so she had to meet certain requirements(nutrition being one of them). You'd be surprised what can legally/technically pass as acceptable by the government when it comes to feeding our children.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems most younger kids are finicky, or at least picky on eating things that don't look right or different. I bet a lot of kids will be hungry on the days they serve meals like that. They will either learn to deal with being hungry or learn to start eating some of that stuff.

I vaguely remember school lunches when I was a kid, but can remember the pizza that tasted like cardboard, spaghetti and mashed potatoes served from a ice cream scoop and stayed in a ball, rolls that could be used as a baseball, corn that resembled chunks of yellow rubber. The best lunches were made and brought from home. I'm not sure what you can expect from a meal that they charge $3.00 or less to purchase. I wonder what the cash subsidies are for being on the program?

RyanSixer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At my school, a 6" subway sandwich (very small selection for meats and cheeses), a cup of fruit, a cup of veggies, a 4oz Jamba Juice smoothie, and a milk carton is $2.75. If you decide to get only the sandwich, it's something like $3.50. This must mean the regular school food is so terrible, they pay you to take it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get a kick out all of these "Oh Noes, Michelle is starving our kids" lunch photos. As if what your kid chose to put on his/her plate is Michelle's fault.

If left to their own devices, most kids would, and do, eat a donut and a bag of potato chips for lunch...in fact I had to have a talk with my 13 year old about doing that very thing.

Show me a picture of the entire lunch line and/or the scheduled menu for the day(s) these pictures were taken and I might change my mind. Until then it's just more foxnews-esque retardation.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well back in the day when i was in school you had 2 choices for lunch ate what was set in front of you or do without til you got home from school you didnt get to pick and choice what you wanted on your plate. There was no salad bar or pizza or anything like that, usually 3 days a week you got red beans and cornbread and the one day you got what they called stew and the the 5th day i think they took leftovers and mixed it all toge
ther.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our school lunches were pretty good. Similar to a commercial buffet line. Plenty of veggi's that were actually cooked on site by the staff.
Unfortunately we were dirt poor. My sister and I had to take bag lunches.
People eating bag lunches could not eat in the cafeteria. Don't have a clue why.
A separate room off to the side is where we ate.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People eating bag lunches could not eat in the cafeteria. Don't have a clue why.
Because poor people completely destroy the ambiance. ;)

When I was in the 7th grade, we got a salad bar in the cafeteria. Before (and after) that, the middle school had two lunch lines--one served the normal cafeteria fare (which was OK), and the other served hamburgers with french fries.

Guess which line was longest. And no, it wasn't the one at the salad bar...

Latest posts

Top Bottom