School Lunch--Yum, Yum OR Barf, Barf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We seem so surprised by all this top down government intervention into the pathetic state of local school lunch programs, mainly because it's directly sitting there in the plate to be experienced by the senses. The vast majority of the populace doesn't seem to mind all the other rules, regulations, and mandates that infringe on all other facets of daily life from the 'ones who know better' up on the hill. Trying to control an issue from Washington down to a local lunch level, is like reining a horse with a 100 foot rope. Every possible travesty and mishap is going to occur because the big dogs who think they are in control - really aren't, and the locals who should be in control - won't take control. This gap of common sense is why you see poor quality, and ridiculousness in the lunch program.

28 years ago, my first year of teaching was in a rural school (long ago closed) in Harmon county located in the middle of a cotton field in the middle of nowhere. Two older lunch ladies provided for around 100 children every day. They made their own hamburger and hotdog buns from scratch, spun butter and honey together for hot rolls, and cooked like a visit to grandma's house every day.

28 years later, EVERYTHING out of a school lunchroom is from a can, a box, a sack, or a freezer carton. Nutrition labels and regulations dictate what gets served, paper work and audits must be adhered to. Any enterprising lunch worker wanting to make something 'homemade' is condemned, because it's out of regulation or can't be qualified. I've personally seen local growers turned away when they offered their produce to schools because 'it was too much hassle and paper work' to deal with.

When big gov gets in, so does the crap and silliness.

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ate off the line when I was in school. Not too bad. My younger brother would drive his friends to one of the bars in town and get their 1lb. burgers with waffle fries.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nutrition labels and regulations dictate what gets served, paper work and audits must be adhered to. Any enterprising lunch worker wanting to make something 'homemade' is condemned, because it's out of regulation or can't be qualified. I've personally seen local growers turned away when they offered their produce to schools because 'it was too much hassle and paper work' to deal with.

When big gov gets in, so does the crap and silliness.

True, but my understanding is that the federal guidelines only apply if you take federal money for the school lunch program. There are success stories out there about schools who have turned that money down and done it their way.

Don't want federal rules dictating what you serve? Step away from the $$ trough. Don't like what your kid is being served? Make his/her lunch.

fubarjohnnyr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, but my understanding is that the federal guidelines only apply if you take federal money for the school lunch program. There are success stories out there about schools who have turned that money down and done it their way.

Don't want federal rules dictating what you serve? Step away from the $$ trough. Don't like what your kid is being served? Make his/her lunch.

I agree 100%. We've created the situation by giving money to the Feds, only to be subjugated by rules to get a portion of it back. Self induced enslavement.

If your school district is financially able to administer the lunch program on their own and the community at large is for it - do it. But, if the school district is like mine, and many are, easily 70% are on the free/reduced lunch program. This means considerable revenue from the gov and reliance on that teat. Money strapped districts simply won't give that up. Unfortunately, the notion that parents will make his/her children's lunch to take to school is assuming a Beaver Cleaver type family situation which is an extreme rarity in this day in time I'm sad to say.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ate whatever was on the school line in grade school and jr high. That was a hundred years or so ago. LOL. I always loved the hot rolls and butter, along with cinnamon rolls. .

I don't have a clue what they serve now, or quality is in schools these days.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
28 years ago, my first year of teaching was in a rural school (long ago closed) in Harmon county located in the middle of a cotton field in the middle of nowhere. Two older lunch ladies provided for around 100 children every day. They made their own hamburger and hotdog buns from scratch, spun butter and honey together for hot rolls, and cooked like a visit to grandma's house every day.

Makes me wonder if I sat in your class long ago. Go Coyotes

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, with the .gov guidelines I wonder if hot rolls(maybe if whole grain), butter and cinnamon rolls(sugar glazed) would even be allowed within a 100yds of a school cafeteria?:uhh::scratch::rolleyes2:rollingla:rollingla

They still make home made cinnamon rolls on occasion, and this is in Tulsa Public Schools.

I'm with SMS. The school lunches are not gourmet, but at least on par if not way better than the crap people may good money for from a drive through. My son routinely declines a packed lunch because he want's the school lunch. The kids like the lunch. And our school isn't title I so the majority of the kids are paying cash for the school lunch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom