Schumer Shutdown: Dems want shutdown to protect illegals!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming a debt of the United States would be paid back is just that: An assumption. It is not written in the Constitution that Congress has to pay it back. If Congress doesn't pay its debts, the credit of the United States goes in the toilet and there is no credit for the United States to borrow against. Any debt you or I incur and don't pay back will ruin our credit as well.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1, authorizes Congress to collect taxes for, among other things, to pay the debts of the United States as incurred by Article I, Section 8, Clause 2. Congress has direct authorization to borrow money. How and when - if ever - those authorized debts are paid back is not mandated by anything in the Constitution.

The exercise of the powers granted to Congress are not mandates - exercise of those powers are discretionary. For example, Congress has the power to declare war, but it doesn't have to. If it were to say that Congress SHALL pay the debts of the United States, that would be different.

If you want to loan money to the United States, make sure you get it under law as to when and how you are to be paid back, and with what interest.

Woody
Even that's no guarantee; the law can be changed just as easily as it was passed.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not saying they have to pay the debt, I am saying that they cannot keep the president from spending the money once it has been authorized.

Legislative Authorization does not imply Legislative Operational Command and Control which are in fact, appropriately and traditionally, Executive Functions. In any Governmental, Military or Corporate Organization anywhere in history the function of the Executive, Premier, Monarch, or whatever Head of State is to Direct and Control Spending and Direct Other Critical Functions of the Organizations that they CONTROL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So record taxes are being collected and the Dems continue to want more to fund this dysfunctional government. You know what they say about insanity; continue doing the same activity and expect a different outcome. Trump could be the solution to this. We will see.

Feds Collect Record Taxes Through November; Still Run $201.8B Deficit
The federal government collected record total tax revenues of $443,715,000,000 in the first two months of fiscal 2018 (Oct. 1, 2017 through the end of November), according to the Monthly Treasury Statement.

Despite these record tax revenues, the federal government still ran a deficit of $201,761,000,000 for those same two months.

That is because the government spent $645,476,000,000 in October and November.

The $443,715,000,000 that the federal government collected in taxes in the first two months of this fiscal year was $12,873,120,000 more in constant 2018 dollars than it collected in the first two months of fiscal 2017 and $11,352,180,000 more than it collected in the first two months of fiscal 2016.

Prior to this year, the $432,362,820,000 in total taxes (in constant 2018 dollars) that the federal government collected in the first two months of fiscal 2016 was the greatest amount of taxes the federal government had ever collected in the first two months of a fiscal year.

The federal government also set a record for individual income tax collections in the first two months of fiscal 2018. In October and November, the Treasury collected $226,535,000,000 in individual income taxes. Prior to this year, the record for individual income tax collections in the first two months of the fiscal year was the $217,992,000,000 (in constant 2018 dollars) collected in the first two months of fiscal 2017.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even that's no guarantee; the law can be changed just as easily as it was passed.

That is true. However, as long as the law remains unchanged, it is in effect - so long as Congress and the President does not pass an unconstitutional ex post facto law. At that point, it is off to the Court we go!

Woody

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Schumer says yes to a short term CR (2-8-18) in exchange for a DACA vote. No DACA vote, no renewal of the CR or passing a budget.

He's calling it the "Trump Shutdown" BTW.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know the FAA people got paid back, they were off for almost 2 weeks straight if I remember. We were off Fridays only for 7 weeks straight.
The government shut down was for 16 days in 2013, why the" off every Friday for 7 weeks"? What did that have to do with the shutdown? What kind of federal employee status are you?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Schumer says yes to a short term CR (2-8-18) in exchange for a DACA vote. No DACA vote, no renewal of the CR or passing a budget.

He's calling it the "Trump Shutdown" BTW.
In a certain way he's already "won". He's leading an action the repubs were scared shitless to do when Obama was in office. Not taking up for him in ANY way but at least he has the stones to do what he thinks he needs to advance his agenda, that's why his base is loyal and the repub's isn't. And the GOP still hasn't gotten the memo. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Top Bottom