Screaming Kids In Restaurants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No I don't have kids. I'm 56 and never had any. Let me guess. That is YOUR kid in your Avatar. Keep him away from me in restaurants and if you can't control him, drop him off at grandma and grampas before you go out and ruin my dinner.

I laughed out loud... :laughup:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OSA knows I always counter the mostly untrue "the world today is so much worse than it used to be" good 'ol days crap, but one area I totally agree we continue to slide downhill in...and that's behaving in public. Whether it's adults talking on cell phones in public where it's absolutely ridiculous to do so, or people subjecting the general public to the annoying behavior of their children, it's just wild how some people act.

Babies can be loud sometimes. People had babies in our grandmother's generation as well (I can prove it!), and those babies could be loud just like babies in 2012. The difference was people had respect for strangers in public back then.

My parents/grandparents would have no more have let me cause a disturbance in a restaurant than they would have spit on a stranger's plate. It's totally fine to bring babies to casual dining places, and most people at such places don't mind if the hear the kid occasionally, but if the kid is full-on freaking out...you need to take the kid outside. It's called manners and respect. Remember when babies cried in church and the mothers rushed them out of the sanctuary because it was church and not a baby scream concert? Yeah, that's one good thing you can learn from going to church.

Mpdelaney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, as a patron and a parent. As a restaurant manager it is a touchy subject... I have managed both high end dining and family dining. What most people visit these days IS in fact family dining. I do get frustrated when people allow their children to run rampant, but there is a very fine line on what you can say to someone. Usually, we just have to let it go. I offer the surrounding guests an alternate seating arrangement and an apology. Sometimes people get the clue, sometimes they don't. Bottom line... You can't tell people how to raise their children. You can only dictate how you respond. My suggestion, ask for another table. The server will understand.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all due respect, sir. Enjoying a fine dinner at TGIF's is an entertaining idea. Try something more up scale if you want quiet.

I avoid chain restaurants like the plague, and generally eat at nicer places or weird dives frequented by bitter childless folks, old timers, drunks and the like just to avoid stuff like that.

But if I want to stop in at a hamburger joint or grab an omelet at the local diner, I should be able to do so without your kid doing a Bobcat Goldthwait impression in the next booth over. Like I said, I don't care if I hear your baby being a baby while I'm eating my $7 omelet on a ripped booth seat while wearing old jeans and a concert t-shirt, but if your baby loses his head, being in a causal/cheap place does not give you a free pass to subject everyone to a 30-minute live show headlined by your annoying spawn.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all due respect, sir. Enjoying a fine dinner at TGIF's is an entertaining idea. Try something more up scale if you want quiet.

So because it is TGIF, I should have to endure a kid banging the table with 2 toy cars and screaming at the top of his lungs every 30 seconds for at least 20 minutes and not be the least bit annoyed. All while the parents did nothing. Because it was TGIF. OK then. How silly of me to have been annoyed. Where would you suggest I go for this not to happen. I've heard it at Chilis, Logans, Olive Garden, Outback, Applebees. It is everywhere you go to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom