SDA, HB2612, and Medical Marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning. I am kinda confused by all these items. First off I fully and completely understand that this is a Internet forum and not legal counsel and is worth price paid.

Osbi.ok.gov, has a pdf document titled, Oklahoma Self Defense Act (SDA) Handgun License and Medical Marijuana. It pretty much specifies that legal concealed carry permit and Oklahoma CCW permit can't go together. In fact there is a link to how to surrender your CCW permit once a MMC is obtained.

It goes on to say, "...at this time...", there isn't a way to communicate between the Health department and OSBI, CCW permit holders expected to comply in good faith, violaters can be charged with purjury.

Governor Stitt signed HB2612 and it becomes law 90 days after the session ends.

What seems to be the prevailing feeling about HB2612 and it's protections extended to Oklahoma CCW permit holders? Thanks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toke or tote. Don't necessarily agree with the one or the other aspect of the law. It was made legal with a prescription, so it should be treated like any other medication.

We all know that it's never a good idea to do both at the same time, just like any other substance like alcohol or rx that makes one impaired. But there is always that one jackass that messes it up for everyone else.

Keep telling people we need a change to the state constitution that states all citizens have the right to not only own firearms, but to carry as well. Unless they are a prohibited person via conviction or adjudication.

And no, I don't partake in the consumption of weed.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Squid, absolutely agree in all you stated. Being a somewhat responsible adult, I keep my adult beverages and guns separate as should anyone who takes public safety seriously, positive 2nd Amendment practices and a healthy desire to live amicably among others. I think folks have pretty much learned to balance alcohol and gun ownership for the most part. Sure there is a large contingent of jackwagons that haven't figured it out or choose to ignore possible consequences of poor decisions. But laws are available to handle such instances. But it appears that SDA and MM Laws can't by OSBIs POV; ”... until federal law is changed..." As it appears to me. Last time I touched the stuff was when I was 16, now fifty two; don't feel I meet a reasonable definition of addicted to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It’s because they still view MM as an illegal substance. They want to discourage MM users by threatening them to surrender their constitutional rights. The hypocrisy is that other prescription pain killers (opioids) and psychological balancing meds (anti-depressants, etc) are not included as well. The stance should be the same for all medications AND ALCOHOL. Make it illegal for to use or carry during consumption just like the current laws for alcohol.

Who the F*** is the government to say that someone who is prescribed OXY, or self medicated with Jim Beam should be able to carry, but someone who uses MM isn’t. The biased hypocrisy is sickening.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't Constitutional Carry House Bill 2597 which was the first thing Gov. Stitt signed into law kinda negate the whole question? November 1st you can have your cake and eat it too.

Let's get real, "addicted to" and "unlawful user" are pretty vague. Hard to prove & would be considered habit at worst and unlawful user yesterday but clean and carrying today will be what anyone can say.

None of this applies to me anyway so I'll always maintain my CCW whether needed here or not for reciprocity in other states. I have DOT licenses that are far more valuable to me too.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s because they still view MM as an illegal substance. They want to discourage MM users by threatening them to surrender their constitutional rights. The hypocrisy is that other prescription pain killers (opioids) and psychological balancing meds (anti-depressants, etc) are not included as well. The stance should be the same for all medications AND ALCOHOL. Make it illegal for to use or carry during consumption just like the current laws for alcohol.

Who the F*** is the government to say that someone who is prescribed OXY, or self medicated with Jim Beam should be able to carry, but someone who uses MM isn’t. The biased hypocrisy is sickening.
The agree. I am a recovering opioid addict and take opioid to help me not relapse. My doctor prescribes MM and is trying to get me and my cousin to switch because he said his patients are able to almost cut out the opioid. But I can’t do it and neither can my cousin. Both because of our jobs and because of our carrying guns. It is pure crap. The feds need to legalize MM so we have the ability to use what our doctors are suggesting we use. I just don’t understand why so many people think weed is so bad. I even hear so called experts on American Family Radio talking about how it causes psychosis and a host of other horrible things. It’s pure lies. I have never heard of one single person getting
Any of those things. I guarantee it’s better than alcohol and opioids but yet it’s regulated in the same category as meth. It had to have something to do with money and that’s why the government won’t legalize it. It is helping a lot of people with many different ailments. Things that other drugs can’t do.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toke or tote. Don't necessarily agree with the one or the other aspect of the law. It was made legal with a prescription, so it should be treated like any other medication.

We all know that it's never a good idea to do both at the same time, just like any other substance like alcohol or rx that makes one impaired. But there is always that one jackass that messes it up for everyone else.

Keep telling people we need a change to the state constitution that states all citizens have the right to not only own firearms, but to carry as well. Unless they are a prohibited person via conviction or adjudication.

And no, I don't partake in the consumption of weed.

Not exactly true. This is not prescribed by, nor use monitored by, nor reported or controlled by a physician or pharmacy. This truly is recreational marijuana in practice, make no mistake about it - they've just required a physician to evaluate someone and attest that they have a condition which MAY benefit from use of marijuana. There is ZERO further contact with a medical professional required beyond that, and it isn't dispensed by any licensed professional in the medical field. The shell game about having a physician sign off on it was nothing more than smoke and mirrors to get it through the ballot box.

Just a clarification.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OSBI was against both the carrying of weapons AND medical marijuana even putting out a statement against 788 saying "medical marijuana does not exist". (I mean the OSBI as a whole, we have some OSA members who work there who are definitely pro-2A) I think the director of that organization needs to focus less on lobbying and focus more on investigating the unsolved murders of Carina Saunders, Carol Daniels, and so on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom