SDA License Number on 4473 Forms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteStalker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is my opinion that any Oklahoma resident who goes through the SDA process should be able to fast track the NCIS check while buying a gun at gun shops and gun shows here in Oklahoma. "Hear say" from friends indicate that Kansas and Texas both already do this for their resident carry license holders. I think that the license number is written somewhere on the 4473 form. SDA license holders meet extra requirements that are above and beyond the Brady Act requirements, and they have already proved that they can legally own a gun through a very extensive process that positively confirms their identity with fingerprints and photo.

I have gotten delayed once at a gun show, and it was very embarrassing. The dealer basically very loudly told me that I must have something in my history that brings up a flag, as if it was my fault. I had my SDA carry license in my hand, but missed out on a good deal for a new carry pistol. I haven't been back to a gun show since, and I didn't buy a gun for an entire year afterwards. I was not delayed when I purchased then, but it seemed that it took a long time for the dealer to complete the call.

I am willing to write our elected to support using SDA license to purchase, and I was wondering what others thought about this.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not as simple as Oklahoma passing a law that says SDA permits qualify for firearms purchase background checks.

Oklahoma's permit system does not comply with federal requirements for exemption under the Brady Act. Oklahoma would have to bring it's system into compliance and then petition the BATFE to grant an exemption for our permits.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason Okla dont do this is because the ATF doesnt recognize Okla's SD class as being adequate in order to do this the class would have to be longer and more in depth and cost more.
I personally know a guy that has a pin number so his will go thru faster and the other day when he purchased a gun he was delayed so it dont matter who u are or what you put on the form there is always a chance you will be delayed and delayed isnt like being denied.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason Okla dont do this is because the ATF doesnt recognize Okla's SD class as being adequate in order to do this the class would have to be longer and more in depth and cost more.
The class has nothing to do with the background check, so I don't see why they would care about that. I have heard that the length of the license duration is the major hurdle, but I have no confirmation of that. I don't know for sure why the current SDA licenses don't qualify, but the original SDA licenses allowed you to bypass the NICS check--all you had to do was fill out the yellow sheet--but as soon as those first generation licenses got renewed, they magically no longer qualified. Yay for bureaucracies and the bureaucrats who infest them.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is my opinion that any Oklahoma resident who goes through the SDA process should be able to fast track the NCIS check while buying a gun at gun shops and gun shows here in Oklahoma. "Hear say" from friends indicate that Kansas and Texas both already do this for their resident carry license holders. I think that the license number is written somewhere on the 4473 form. SDA license holders meet extra requirements that are above and beyond the Brady Act requirements, and they have already proved that they can legally own a gun through a very extensive process that positively confirms their identity with fingerprints and photo.

I have gotten delayed once at a gun show, and it was very embarrassing. The dealer basically very loudly told me that I must have something in my history that brings up a flag, as if it was my fault. I had my SDA carry license in my hand, but missed out on a good deal for a new carry pistol. I haven't been back to a gun show since, and I didn't buy a gun for an entire year afterwards. I was not delayed when I purchased then, but it seemed that it took a long time for the dealer to complete the call.

I am willing to write our elected to support using SDA license to purchase, and I was wondering what others thought about this.

SDA background checks are only good on the day you get them. As soon as you walk out the door it is possible for your criminal history to change. Contrary to popular belief the background check is not really that good.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The carry class is totally irrelevant. Utah has its own insta check through BCI for purchases in Utah by Utah license holders. Oklahoma does not meet BATFE rules, per a letter they sent to OK.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several NICS checks I have conducted have had a "hold for further review" but all have been a "proceed" after only a few seconds once a reviewer picked up the line and confirmed the transaction number. Most were where the transferee
either had a very common name and gave no social security number, or one or the other for the rest.

I've had one "delayed", and it took 5 days for a "proceed" from the FBI NICS. I had cancelled the transfer myself when I learned he used an old license he hadn't updated since his recent move. I never heard from him again.

Woody

761mph

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was always told that the reason we couldn't use our SDA license on the form 4473s was because of the SDA class length
something about needing to be more than 10 hours of class time
it was around the first renewals being processed

Latest posts

Top Bottom