seasoning a new cast iron grill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to post pics of my new charcoal grill, a heavy duty tailgate grill made out of some big pipe, nicely made, locally. New to this charcoal thing, but I know i need to season it right? Want to get this thing fired up and start grilling! Been out of propane and I grill about 4 lbs of chicken breasts a week. Broiling in the oven aint cuttin it. So how do I season this? Suggestions on what to cook, how to cook it ie wood, pellets, chips etc?

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to post pics of my new charcoal grill, a heavy duty tailgate grill made out of some big pipe, nicely made, locally. New to this charcoal thing, but I know i need to season it right? Want to get this thing fired up and start grilling! Been out of propane and I grill about 4 lbs of chicken breasts a week. Broiling in the oven aint cuttin it. So how do I season this? Suggestions on what to cook, how to cook it ie wood, pellets, chips etc?

Not sure about grill grates, but for skillets, I have always caked on lard and fired them up. Cleaned and repeat about 3 times before actually cooking.

One thing I can tell you about grill grates, keep them clean after seasoning. Cast Iron wont last long unless you take care of it when it comes to grills.

SoonerTactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Flaxseed oil.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

I used Sheryl's method on a couple of cast iron pieces a friend of mine gave me that had been out in his ML's garage. They were brand new but horrible. So...I had to completely restore them using her method. It took the better part of a weekend, with the 24 hour soak in 1/2 vinegar to eat off the rust, but the results are absolutely breathtaking!

black iron - before.jpgblack iron - after.jpg

Nice thing is that this seasoning process, if I don't mess things up horribly, is permanent.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always coat every square inch of the inside of a new grill with veggie oil, I'm sure others will argue about the type. Just doing it with something is better than most people do. I cooked sausages first, they don't require a seasoned grill to taste good and they emit tons of juicy goodness. Chicken thighs are another good thing that can help season it. I turned my head the other night and my whole grill was on fire from all the fat coming off those thighs!

BIG_MIKE2005

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a GREAT forum for smoker seasoning & basically all things smoker related.

http://thesmokering.com/forum/

Typically the best way to season the smoker is to fire it up for a few hours with some good wood in it and no food. Just let it start seasoning itself in the natural flavors. At least thats what I have found on this forum I posted a link to. I'm in the market for a nice thick smoker myself & believe I'm gonna go through a local guy as well. Company called Bellfab I believe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom