Seat Belt Laws?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LEO wants and will enforce the seat belt law. Keeps you strapped in your seat when they walk up. On one hand, I hate the requirement and mostly ignore it, but if I were LEO, I'd be a whole lot more comfortable walking up to a car with a seat belt on.

Travis798

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They never come to my window. They always ask me to step out of the vehicle and walk to their car.

When I was a young pup, that is what you did if the cop in my little town pulled you over. You didn't make the cop come to you. When I was pretty freshly 16, doing that I think got me out of a ticket with OHP. He pulled me over for speeding (I was running about 70 in a 45), and after pulling over I jumped out and headed toward his car. He drew down on me in a hurry, I threw my hands up and got back in the truck like he was telling me to. He asked me why I just did that, and I told him in my town you don't make the cop come to you. He lectured me on never doing that, either forgot about my speeding or felt bad for drawing down on me, and sent me on my way.

Needless to say, I don't do that anymore.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm... interesting. I never get speeding tickets. I don't get pulled over a *lot*... maybe 3-4 times a year. Actually less in the last year, I'd guess.

Same. 5 times since 2006.

One ticket from a suburb cop. The only cops I across the board hate are suburb cops.

One ticket for like 6 over IIRC in the thriving metropolis of Beggs, Oklahoma. He told me to come to "court". Wouldn't give me an address to just pay it by mail. I kept calling the (no joke) Beggs Water/Police Department and they finally told me over the phone it had been dismissed and the officer was no longer there. I drove down there, made them write on the ticked that it was dismissed, and still have it in my glove box. I dunno how unpaid tickets work, but I wanted to cover my ass.

Twice by OHP. Both super nice guys. No tickets.

One by TCSO. Cool dude. No ticket.

Once by an Arkansas State Trooper. Cool dude. No ticket.

100% of my big department cop experiences have been positive. (have had several interactions outside traffic stops too)

60/40 in small towns.

100% negative experiences with 12-year-old suburb cops. And they all seem to be 12.

Last edited:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a young pup, that is what you did if the cop in my little town pulled you over. You didn't make the cop come to you. When I was pretty freshly 16, doing that I think got me out of a ticket with OHP. He pulled me over for speeding (I was running about 70 in a 45), and after pulling over I jumped out and headed toward his car. He drew down on me in a hurry, I threw my hands up and got back in the truck like he was telling me to. He asked me why I just did that, and I told him in my town you don't make the cop come to you. He lectured me on never doing that, either forgot about my speeding or felt bad for drawing down on me, and sent me on my way.

Needless to say, I don't do that anymore.

I had a very similar incident happen to me the first time I ever got stopped. I had "borrowed" my mom's car to run to the store for a Coke at like 2 in the morning. Running way faster than anyone should be running at that time of morning in Lexington, OK. On the way back from the store I got lit up. I pull over, hop out of the car and stop dead in my tracks when I hear the distinctive "snap" from the button on the officer's holster. I just about crapped my pants then and there. The officer politely told me to get back in my car and to put my hands on the steering wheel. I followed every single word of everything he said to me after that. That's the only traffic stop I have ever NOT gotten a ticket from (I don't get them too much anymore). Once he let me go on my way, I swear I drove 5 MPH the rest of the way home. :-)

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was stopped in Minnesota when working. I had a habit of driving to fast. You know how it is when you have a 1,000 drive, 10-15 mph over and it adds up. My bosses did not care as long as I was safe, because I could flat get from place to place and time was money.

Well one day up near the Canadian border a brown car with a bubble on top lit me up. I had two guys with me. I pulled over and the nice fella asked if we worked at the oil tanks "out in the woods" I said yes.

He asked me to see the company insurance, and my DL, he then wrote my two passengers tickets for no seat belts. They were not happy and started telling him that in Oklahoma you cant stop a vehicle for a seat belt violation. His rely was a chuckle and he then said, "boys you are not in Okieland" it cost them $75 each. I have always worn mine since swerving hard on day to avoid a car that ran a stop sign and I slid to the middle of the bench seat. :)

I have had one ticket, for parking, it was at my Grandfathers funeral, I was ticketed for parking in the way of a street sweeper. Umm room to park 3 cars and we had 11 from out of state. I still have the ticket.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always worn mine since swerving hard on day to avoid a car that ran a stop sign and I slid to the middle of the bench seat. :)

This is the reason most people who are anti-seatbelt don't understand. A seatbelt is also there to keep you behind the wheel and at the pedals should in a situation like this. It's not just to protect the wearer. It's also to protect other motorists. Hard to drive from the floorboard or passenger seat.

Also a lose body in rollover can hurt the strapped in people. I've been in a high speed rollover and everything was ejected but me. I wear mine.

That said, sorry for your wife's hassle.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the reason most people who are anti-seatbelt don't understand. A seatbelt is also there to keep you behind the wheel and at the pedals should in a situation like this. It's not just to protect the wearer. It's also to protect other motorists. Hard to drive from the floorboard or passenger seat.

Also a lose body in rollover can hurt the strapped in people. I've been in a high speed rollover and everything was ejected but me. I wear mine.

That said, sorry for your wife's hassle.

I know a guy who had way to much to drink and drove at a crazy speed. He wound up in an wicked one car wreck. He had on a seat belt. He told me what hurt the most was the wooden box that had a 2hp router in and and bits. With the number of times the car flipped and rolled he was amazed that stupid box had to hit him each time, it would not go out a window or the missing door. He took a beating from that box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom