Sell/Sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some grammar nazi tendencies. I often will end up editing a post 3 or 4 times to fix typos, mostly from fat fingering the on screen keyboard from my phone. I think it drives my wife a little crazy.

That being said...

I was driving to work last week when I saw a pan handler and their terrible sign:

TRAVELING
A LITTLE
HELP PLEASE

I sat there the entire time the light was red trying to decide where the punctuation should have been. The whole fiasco gave me an idea.

I need a simunition conversion for my AR. Then I could practice my sniper skills by taking pot shots at badly made pan handler signs. Especially the ones who are by the interstate, which they shouldn't be, or the ones who are obviously not homeless or destitute.

Last edited:

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I euthanized all my pet peaves years ago...well, almost.

A couple of things I have always wondered about, though.

Their...Does "I before E except after C" really apply?

To decimate means to divide by 10..as in decimel. Listen to the news tonight to hear it horribly abused.

I thought I would "axe" you guys.

How about the word "Gay"?

Free Trapper

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I euthanized all my pet peaves years ago...well, almost.

A couple of things I have always wondered about, though.

Their...Does "I before E except after C" really apply?

To decimate means to divide by 10..as in decimel. Listen to the news tonight to hear it horribly abused.
I thought I would "axe" you guys.

How about the word "Gay"?

Free Trapper

I'm with you, but bad usage has overcome propriety. Sort of like "orientate," the masses won out and the dictionary people crumbled. Same with "data are" vs "data is."

dec·i·mate
/ˈdesəˌmāt/Verb
1.Kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage of.
2.Drastically reduce the strength or effectiveness of (something): "plant viruses that can decimate yields".

More info - Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary

"Digesting your inner English teacher" should be the title of this thread.

I have learned, pretty late in life, to endure semi literacy with only an occasional inner shudder. One guy who helped me will never know it. He taught me how to field dress a deer in an amazingly short time and gave me tips that have resulted in never having a season without killing a deer. His ability with the written word is laughable, but he has lots of wisdom. I presume that our semi literate members here also have other strengths, and that keeps me under control.

But a word to everyone, including some otherwise pretty good writers. Big paragraphs are hard to read and tend to not be read. So hit the "enter" key after every couple of sentences. Break it up so it's easier on the eye and not so intimidating.

I have saved the grammar nazi pics in an earlier post. They are wonderful.

edit: Ig, are you off your meds or something? You are usually funnier and sharper edged. Maybe you were just in a hurry?

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.jucoolimages.com_images_feet_sexy_feet_24.jpg

I hope Been didn't see this, or that he had a change of clothes handy if he did . . .

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hanged and hung

Only correct time to say hanged is when talking about the execution. Hanged by the neck until dead.

This is good news! It means many of us guys will never be hung. "Hanged, maybe, but not "hung." What a relief. (No adjectives, particularly well and poorly, need apply to f**k up the joke)

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good grammar is sexy.

Every time I think I have this image thing figured out...

So is your avatar. I do not recall ever consciously associating good grammar with being sexy, but your comment triggered the realization that communication skills in general have always been a big part of those I find attractive. My wife has an ABFD (All But the F***ing Dissertation) degree in English. She uses the language like few others. Our private conversations would be incomprehensible to anyone else.

Nabokov once wrote that close families develop their own internal language. For him English was a second language. He makes most of us feel like it's our third or fourth language. After "Lolita" came out as a movie, I decided to read the book, and got hooked. The only negative thing about reading him is that if you consider yourself a good writer, you may become angry at how bad he makes you look.

Latest posts

Top Bottom