Tips to save a dollar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had been debt free for many years and hate borrowing money, but I had to when I bought my house up there. I borrowed $182,500 on a 2.75% 5 year fixed rate loan that will refinance in April 2024 if not paid off, but I’m throwing every dollar I can at the loan to pay it off by then. As of this month, I still owe $15,600.

On the subject of loans, most people I know don’t care what a car, house, UTV, etc costs as long as they can make the payments, and most if not all are in over their heads.
Wow, you're killing it on your house, congrats. On "the subject of loans," you nailed it. Ego is the biggest expense a lot of people have, A bigger house, a better phone, fancier car, higher pickup, etc. And nobody can win, there will always be someone with a better everything, just get over it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, you're killing it on your house, congrats. On "the subject of loans," you nailed it. Ego is the biggest expense a lot of people have, A bigger house, a better phone, fancier car, higher pickup, etc. And nobody can win, there will always be someone with a better everything, just get over it.
Ironically, I was just talking to a friend about his daughter and son in law, and that describes them exactly. They’re young with good jobs, but they live in a house they can’t afford, are upside down on both their cars, and have $10k in credit card debt. The daughter is a nurse and is fixing to get a $7500 sign on bonus, but instead of paying off debt, her first priority is buying a new IPhone 15. :scratch:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone already said it and I’m not reading through all this to find out who it was😜…..I think maybe @swampratt. That is “fix what’s broke”. For instance I have one of those Dyson cordless vacuums which run what $600-$700? Darn thing died and for the $35.00 battery I got on Amazon and a little time I’m back in business.

Also don’t live on credit as has been mentioned by many. When Linda and I married 16 years ago she had around $35,000.00 in credit debt with several institutions. She maintained that level making minimum payments for the first 7 years of our wedded bliss until one day she asked “how is it that I make more than you (at the time 40% more), you pay all the bills (utilities/rent/insurance/auto) and I never have money and you do?” “Do you have a money tree you’re hiding?” I said “if you’d like my help with your finances I’d be happy to pay your personal bills.” She agreed and within 14 months she was debt free. I started by paying off the smallest amount first while making the minimum on all the others. The next month I took what I’d paid on that bill and added it to the next smallest payment until that was paid and so on and so on until it was all gone. Badabing badabang…….voila!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had been debt free for many years and hate borrowing money, but I had to when I bought my house up there. I borrowed $182,500 on a 2.75% 5 year fixed rate loan that will refinance in April 2024 if not paid off, but I’m throwing every dollar I can at the loan to pay it off by then. As of this month, I still owe $15,600.

On the subject of loans, most people I know don’t care what a car, house, UTV, etc costs as long as they can make the payments, and most if not all are in over their heads.

Go to a dealership and ask how much on a vehicle. Their response, "what do you want your payment to be?"

NEVER give them an answer.
Saying $0 prevents them from making money on interest and they are less negotiable.

Don't use credit cards and make the minimum monthly payment. Pay them off. 31+% interest is a killer.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read these posts, thinking what more can I do. I have done many of these things, and I scraped by. Have no debt other than the house payments, which are small and a couple thousand on a credit card.
That will get paid off in a few months or so.
Also, I am reading these posts, happy with my life and what I have,
I am working on this house, at least a 1.3 million dollar house in the country club, and there is a new Ford Raptor in the driveway, the kid is driving an Audi, and there is a $175,000 Van/Winnebago in the driveway. I think to myself, it must be nice to have that kinda money, but it sure is nice not have to shell out that kinda money.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I read these posts, thinking what more can I do. I have done many of these things, and I scraped by. Have no debt other than the house payments, which are small and a couple thousand on a credit card.
That will get paid off in a few months or so.
Also, I am reading these posts, happy with my life and what I have,
I am working on this house, at least a 1.3 million dollar house in the country club, and there is a new Ford Raptor in the driveway, the kid is driving an Audi, and there is a $175,000 Van/Winnebago in the driveway. I think to myself, it must be nice to have that kinda money, but it sure is nice not have to shell out that kinda money.
I seriously doubt they have actual money but most likely a lot of debt. A lot of people pretend to be rich and it's a house of cards.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well for starters, don't get sick because doctors and pharmacies are expensive places to go! So exercise, eat healthy and avoid stress, especially financial stress!

Don't accumulate possessions. Strive for a minimalist life because at a certain point, you don't own your possessions as much as they own you.

Finally, don't buy a boat because boats are very expensive to feed and maintain! There's a reason Confucious said "Free boat is not free."!

You're welcome! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom