Tips to save a dollar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you go to Costco bring your own paper plate and hit up the sample tables. There is no limit on how many times you can visit the sample tables.
We try to make sure and go to the restaurant before hitting the Costco buffet.
It’s actually cheaper than hitting it before dining because you don’t buy all the processed food you regret seeing in the freezer after.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We try to make sure and go to the restaurant before hitting the Costco buffet.
It’s actually cheaper than hitting it before dining because you don’t buy all the processed food you regret seeing in the freezer after.

I‘ve got 5 grandkids within 2 miles of my house. They consume everything I bring home from Costco. A couple of them make requests. Except for this stuff. Costco was closing out the big bags of Cheetos Street Corn for $3.97.
They all said it was so nasty even the dogs wouldn’t eat it….
IMG_2326.jpeg

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
generic brand foods usually in a can saves money..i have only once had a unpleasent experience,,great value imitation spam at WM,chicken flavor, it didnt have much taste and was rubbery, other versions taste ok.and a $1 cheaper than SPAM ,, if you dont use data much on your cell phone a Tracfone will do, i buy a $25 phone card every other month,just got a new TCL phone $30 its a smart phone and does everything..in a city move near a mall or where u can walk to everything,, where i am nothing is more than a mile away, i can walk if i have too..and plenty of business's near me where i can g get a job too.my truck broke down, i coudn't fix it ,didnt have money for insurance, i walked or rode the bus,, vastly reduced my cost of living..FYI work a real job,even a PT one instead of a side gig where u dont pay in taxs ,, when u retire your monthly SS payment may be way lower than you expect,and you will have to keep working into your 70's..to kick that monthly SS payment up higher..

Last edited:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If you haven't tried Aldi's you should check it out. I didn't believe it until I did. They don't have everything but they have good pricing on what they do have.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't taxes eat your lunch when you have a lot of OT?
This isn’t directed at you. Most people are not good at simple math. The answer is no more than normal.

I’m married but file separately. Nothing to deduct. Uncle Sam and state, medical and all the other BS takes about the same out of me no matter what. Right around 32-33% no matter how much OT I do or don’t work.

The way I look at it I am the Fed and Sates slave for the first 10 days every month. Totally fecked if you ask me.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't taxes eat your lunch when you have a lot of OT?
That depends. Your taxes are calculated as if you made that "big OT check" all year. If it's an occasional big difference, it'll probably come back to you at tax time. If it's actually frequent enough and gets you in a higher tax bracket, the excess income is worth it.

Short-sighted hourly workers think they're losing money on that once-in-a -while big check, when in reality it will increase the refund from Uncle Sam in most cases.

Generally speaking, OT is more beneficial than taking a second job.

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
generic brand foods usually in a can saves money..i have only once had a unpleasent experience,,great value imitation spam at WM,chicken flavor, it didnt have much taste and was rubbery, other versions taste ok.and a $1 cheaper than SPAM ,, if you dont use data much on your cell phone a Tracfone will do, i buy a $25 phone card every other month,just got a new TCL phone $30 its a smart phone and does everything..in a city move near a mall or where u can walk to everything,, where i am nothing is more than a mile away, i can walk if i have too..and plenty of business's near me where i can g get a job too.my truck broke down, i coudn't fix it ,didnt have money for insurance, i walked or rode the bus,, vastly reduced my cost of living..FYI work a real job,even a PT one instead of a side gig where u dont pay in taxs ,, when u retire your monthly SS payment may be way lower than you expect,and you will have to keep working into your 70's..to kick that monthly SS payment up higher..

I worked with a woman in her 70s who did not know she had to pay into Social Security. She opted out "for religious reasons" because that's what her family told her to do when she got her first job and she just continued to do that her entire working career.

But in all fairness to her, she wasn't dumb, just she did not finish school. And no one ever told her any different. Worked the farm fields in Hawaii until she retired and came over here to the mainland. Her SSI benefit is $400/month. She will have to work until the day she dies. 😢

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quit buying so many firearms and ammo. I need to be able to get deals and y’all keep swiping them with money you don’t have to impress people who don’t care. 😆

ETA: to save $1 on gas, I frequently drive 10 miles across town to save $.05/gal for a 20 gal tank. There’s a dollar right there…🤪
But it cost you $2 to drive there.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the gas deal I see so many people driving like crazy driving 10 or more over the speed limits. Find the sweet spot your vehicle like and burns less fuel. In my pickup it is about 66 mph, gets pretty good mpg, at the 75 or 80 you can watch the gas gauge go down. Dollars flying out the window for what?

Latest posts

Top Bottom