Shipping a gun in from out of state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garytx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

From Texas.gov​

Sales Through FFL Dealers​

Federal law prohibits the sale of most firearms (including handguns) to people who live in a different state from where the sale is taking place. Dealers who have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) may sell rifles or shotguns to people who live in a different state, but only if this would comply with the laws of both the state where the sale is taking place and the state where the person lives. Texas law does not prohibit Texans from buying firearms in a different state.
-------------
So, I was ignorant of this and once while traveling home from Houston I stopped in at that Cabellas north of Dallas along I-35 to look at pistols. When the salesman discovered I was from Oklahoma he informed me that I could not buy a firearm because I was from out of state. I assumed he meant any gun. It was new news to me as I has never bought a gun fr out of state anyway. But, this would be contrary to your comment, stating there is a means of purchasing out of state through an FFL. So, I hope someone here, like one of OSA's licensees will clear this up. Sorry for the novel.

Here is how to buy an out-of-state firearm from Cabelas. Go online, pay for the firearm, they will ship it to your local Cabelas in your state. When it arrives, go inspect the firearm, if you like it, fill out the 4473. If you do not like we weapon, ask for a refund. It's that simple. The firearm is not yours until the 4473.

Also, here's the BATF link on out of state purchasing.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

Slickwil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally going to pick up my rifle that I had shipped from New York to my dealer in Minco today. Now I gotta make me some 30-06 ammo. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom