Shipping handguns for transfer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlau90us

Marksman
Reaction score
I've never done this before... from what I've read on the internet it has to be overnight air and that's like $60+ per handgun (assuming 5lbs). I thought people have sent me firearms before via 2nd day air. Is that not right?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2nd day is fine, and it's a company policy anyway, not a law.
All the law requires is that you notify the common carrier it's a handgun and don't put anything on the outside of the package to identify that it's a gun.

We all used to send handguns ground for $5 until the common carriers changed their policies (supposedly to prevent their employees stealing the handguns).

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Common carrier rules aside.... If it is to transfer to an individual out of state it MUST BE SHIPPED TO AN FFL to handle the transfer

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me it's been easier to pay for my friendly neighborhood FFL to do a transfer and send it US Mail to the receiving FFL.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just $10 at post office...

If you have an FFL; prohibited for non-licensees to send handguns through USPS.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-usps

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2nd day is fine, and it's a company policy anyway, not a law.
All the law requires is that you notify the common carrier it's a handgun and don't put anything on the outside of the package to identify that it's a gun.
If it's company policy and you have to tell them it's a handgun, won't they say it must go overnight?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's company policy and you have to tell them it's a handgun, won't they say it must go overnight?

FEDEX company policy is that it must go 2nd day. The "overnight" rule is an internet myth. However, if you get a clerk that does not know his own company's rules, he might tell you ANYTHING! Look on the FEDEX website for their company policies.

Just had a handgun go to Frank at FSG and back: FEDEX 2nd day both ways (truck all the way to TX), and they even managed to ask for an adult signature and notify me of the delivery day. Good service!

Added:
Since it was warranty work and they were paying shipping both ways, I generously let them pick the carrier!

Latest posts

Top Bottom