Shopping for a Steel J-frame - need some pointers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've still got a no-lock 642 that I was planning on using when I sold that M&P 340CT, but I've started drinking the koolaid from some of the classic Smith guys and I'm thinking of getting some steel (no lock of course).

What are my options when looking at something similar in shape to the 642. Should I go with a hammerless if its steel (do I have as many options)?

Should I be looking at a K-frame snubby instead?

What price-ranges am I looking at (nothing collector-worthy, just something semi-nice and reliable for carry).

I like stainless, but I'm not above carrying a blued gun.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
look at the 38/49/638/649 models. They are shrouded hammers in the bodyguard line. Great little guns. You get the benefit of a hammer, but it's shrouded so it won't snag. The DA also seems nicer on them compared to the DAO models.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the 640 (no dash). It's a 38 spec and a tad smaller than the 640-1 which is a 357 mag. I wouldn't consider one of the current production 640's as a self defense gun because of the internal lock. You can find a 640 for $350-400 if you are patient. An "experienced" 640 is fine if it locks up tight. Just clean and lube it, polish it with Mother's mag wheel cleaner and find a set of grips that feel good to you. I like Ahrends with no finger groove. For concealed carry I prefer a hammerless J frame and smooth wood grips. A K frame snubby is considerably larger and heavier than J frame.

I seem to remember a 640-1 in the classifieds not too long ago if you want to go 357 mag.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J frame - coil spring, 5 shot, smaller, lighter, not as durable as K frame, easier to find than a K-frame snubbie. I like the shrouded hammer best.

K frame - leaf spring, 6 shot, heavier, bigger, more durable, tougher to find and more expensive in snubbie form.

Both have plenty of grip and holster options and for me both are easy to conceal.

I have several of both and normally carry my K-frames for primary and regulate the J-frames for backup, but I don't feel undergunned with ethier.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So I've still got a no-lock 642 that I was planning on using when I sold that M&P 340CT, but I've started drinking the koolaid from some of the classic Smith guys and I'm thinking of getting some steel (no lock of course).

What are my options when looking at something similar in shape to the 642. Should I go with a hammerless if its steel (do I have as many options)?

Should I be looking at a K-frame snubby instead?

What price-ranges am I looking at (nothing collector-worthy, just something semi-nice and reliable for carry).

I like stainless, but I'm not above carrying a blued gun.

EZB, Your best bet is to shop around on GunBroker for what your looking for. I was just over there, and they have a few 649's, 60's, and some 40's, all these are .38spl, which in my book is more than enough in a J-frame. There are also a couple of 64's with 2"bbl, and several model 10's. Prices on most aren't to bad, your just going to have to keep a watch on them.

J frame - coil spring, 5 shot, smaller, lighter, not as durable as K frame, easier to find than a K-frame snubbie. I like the shrouded hammer best.

K frame - leaf spring, 6 shot, heavier, bigger, more durable, tougher to find and more expensive in snubbie form.

Both have plenty of grip and holster options and for me both are easy to conceal.

I have several of both and normally carry my K-frames for primary and regulate the J-frames for backup, but I don't feel undergunned with ethier.

DITTO!!!!^^^^^ The 2" K-frames seem to be the most popular right now, but it seems lots of folks are passing up what I think is probably the finest K-frame going. Model 19/66 2.5"bbl. Just because it says .357 on the barrel doesn't mean you have to shoot .357's out of it. They really shine when loaded with .38spl +P loads. They also have a very serious business look to them. That backed up by a 640ND with the same +P loads, now thats a pair to draw for!!!!
[Broken External Image]
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_640.jpg

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) Buy in .357, whatever frame you choose. If there is revo ammo around, you'll be able to use it.

I was always partial to the 640-1, myself. I really can't justify spending $500-600 for a non-custom carry revolver, though.

Personally, I would buy an older Taurus, and shoot the snot out of it in practice, and carry the 642.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) Buy in .357, whatever frame you choose. If there is revo ammo around, you'll be able to use it.

I was always partial to the 640-1, myself. I really can't justify spending $500-600 for a non-custom carry revolver, though.

Personally, I would buy an older Taurus, and shoot the snot out of it in practice, and carry the 642.

I've owned a couple of 642s and shot the crap out of them way back when I got that first one (my dad owns it now). I just sold a .357 airweight because I never used the .357 out of it (loved the night sight, but never used the CT laser grips).

I'm thinking of going to something simple that I can have a smith work over to get it perfect for me - and I do fancy me some steel. I guess a steel-framed J or K would allow for friendlier .357 shots, so its something to consider. Whatever it is, I definitely want the ability for .38 +P.

I've considered the K-frames more and more, but then I come down to the "do I need a snubbie", and then what barrel length can I fit into my pocket with a good holster, etc...

I've got GMThunder's old 642 that's no-lock and still unfired in my safe right now (I always carried the M&P instead), I may trade it off before I fire it - I just don't know yet.

Decisions, decisions...

Latest posts

Top Bottom