Short barreled rifle legal specs? (not "class III")

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m thinking about building up a single shot, short barrel rifle with a folding stock. I’ve always heard rifles have to have at least a 16” barrel and a minimum overall length. Does anyone out there in OSA land know for sure the required specs by law for a rifle that’s not a “class III”? What’s the minimum length required with the stock folded and extended? Is the minimum barrel length 16”?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm itching to say that the minimum overall length is 25". But there are most certainly more qualified people on the subject. For a rifle, 16" is the minimum length without becoming an SBR.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Without looking it up I believe it's a 16 inch barrel minimum and 26 inches minimum overall.

Dang it! I was sooo close!

Here's my Encore pack rifle in 6.5x284:
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f48_patrickcudd_packrifle.jpg

There's this one. It has a 16.25" barrel. So I'm guessing the minimum overall length is unfolded? Because this is one short sucker folded! There's no way this is 26" folded!

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang it! I was sooo close!

There's this one. It has a 16.25" barrel. So I'm guessing the minimum overall length is unfolded? Because this is one short sucker folded! There's no way this is 26" folded!

The 26" is measured in the "firing" position, so yes it is unfolded. Many folding stock AK's and M1A1 Carbines would be under 26" when the stock is folded.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! These are the kind of numbers I had floating around in my head but wasn't sure. My biggest concern is not violating a law with the folded length. I figured there must be a minimum folded length but I'm getting the idea there's not? I've seen some ak's that are pretty short folded but figured they might be SBR (permit required). I'd be going after something very much like the picture posted above but with an 18" to 20" barrel. Is the only requirement for an overall length with the stock unfolded?

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Per Title 21 Sec1289.18 Ok State Statutes
Sawed-off rifle" shall mean any rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than sixteen (16) inches in length or any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches in length, including the stock portion.
I would take this to mean minimum length of the weapon in it's shortest form.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the law is 16" barrel, 26" overall. if you have a folding stock, it is measured in it's shortest position (folded)

The gun "Patrickcudd" posted is a SBR and requires a tax stamp if from the end of the barrel to the hinge of the folding stock
is less than 26" and it certainly looks it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom