Short barreled rifle legal specs? (not "class III")

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
there is a reason for the law - you would be surprised how many banks,gas stations and liquor stores have been robbed with guns taken out of their stocks to make them shorter to conceal.[/QUOTE]

What I was trying to say is that after the law was passed in 1934, people would rob places by taking the gun out of the stock so that they didn't have to permanently alter the gun. figuring to return it to its original state when they were done.( I guess)
Evidence of this can be found in any police property room or at any police gun auction where you will find dozens of guns complete and fireable except no stock.
I've been to hundreds of police auctions and have asked "where's the stocks?" and always got the same answer " thats how we recovered it or how we confiscated it".

Back in the 80's I went to a sale in california where they sold 14,000+ long guns in big lots and most had no stocks. and thats what they said there also.

I'm not trying to start some arguement! just passing on info I learned in 25 years in the gun business, although some of it maybe outdated since I've been out of the business for a few years.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
there is a reason for the law - you would be surprised how many banks,gas stations and liquor stores have been robbed with guns taken out of their stocks to make them shorter to conceal

What I was trying to say is that after the law was passed in 1934, people would rob places by taking the gun out of the stock so that they didn't have to permanently alter the gun. figuring to return it to its original state when they were done.( I guess)
Evidence of this can be found in any police property room or at any police gun auction where you will find dozens of guns complete and fireable except no stock.
I've been to hundreds of police auctions and have asked "where's the stocks?" and always got the same answer " thats how we recovered it or how we confiscated it".

Back in the 80's I went to a sale in california where they sold 14,000+ long guns in big lots and most had no stocks. and thats what they said there also.

I'm not trying to start some arguement! just passing on info I learned in 25 years in the gun business, although some of it maybe outdated since I've been out of the business for a few years.

Please research your answers in the future. I can not tell you how many wrong statements I have heard from those "in the gun business."
It is a sad fact that those in the business do not know the law, as far as the majority is concerned.

For example, I will never buy anything from E.A. Brown. He has many good products, but is an ignorant ass, and will not listen to anyone else, because he is "in the business." He told me he cold not sell me a threaded Encore barrel because he is not a Class 2 manufacturer.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please research your answers in the future. I can not tell you how many wrong statements I have heard from those "in the gun business."
It is a sad fact that those in the business do not know the law, as far as the majority is concerned.

For example, I will never buy anything from E.A. Brown. He has many good products, but is an ignorant ass, and will not listen to anyone else, because he is "in the business." He told me he cold not sell me a threaded Encore barrel because he is not a Class 2 manufacturer.

I think the whole thing about laws that limit what law breakers do gets on my nerves the most.

Uh,... its a law,... but its meant to keep the law breakers from doing it? HA... Ha... ha

Lets face it, those types of laws only keep the honest man from doing it.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Just a simple question, Why is this question about SBRs being ask on an inturdnet forum instead of asking ATFE?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a simple question, Why is this question about SBRs being ask on an inturdnet forum instead of asking ATFE?

Because there are a lot of folks on this site who have been dealing in NFA stuff for many years and can post the info from the ATF or from attorny's who deal with NFA issues as part of their business. If you send a letter to ATF asking for an opinion it make take up to a year to get a response (I am still waiting on a response to 2 MG configuration changes I sent to NFA Branch in May). Also, asking an ATF field agent often gets you the wrong answer. They are not all up on the legal definitions as well as you would think. Not a knock against them because there is no way every LE officer knows every single aspect of the laws that they enforce. It is just too much info to know.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Because there are a lot of folks on this site who have been dealing in NFA stuff for many years and can post the info from the ATF or from attorny's who deal with NFA issues as part of their business. If you send a letter to ATF asking for an opinion it make take up to a year to get a response (I am still waiting on a response to 2 MG configuration changes I sent to NFA Branch in May). Also, asking an ATF field agent often gets you the wrong answer. They are not all up on the legal definitions as well as you would think. Not a knock against them because there is no way every LE officer knows every single aspect of the laws that they enforce. It is just too much info to know.

With that kind of reasoning you could get a wrong answer here just as easy as you could from an agent.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With that kind of reasoning you could get a wrong answer here just as easy as you could from an agent.

That is true. Just look at how many incorrect answers are in this thread alone. That is why I always try to provide a link to the ATF website or other official sources to back up what I post. I think that is the best that can be done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom