Shorten AR barrel & Form 1 & 4's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking to "chop a few inches off" my AR carbine.
How would I go about this legally with BATFE.
I already own the item, so it will not be purchased.

I have a NFA trust already, I need to know the steps to complete this SBR build.

1.)Engrave lower with trust name..
2.)File form 1 and pay tax..
then...
3.)Cut barrel to length?

Or is there a form 4 in here somewhere.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Form 1 since you're making it, not transferring it from someone else.

I'd do the form 1 and pay tax before engraving it, just incase.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking to "chop a few inches off" my AR carbine.
How would I go about this legally with BATFE.
I already own the item, so it will not be purchased.

I have a NFA trust already, I need to know the steps to complete this SBR build.
1.)Engrave lower with trust name..
2.)File form 1 and pay tax..
then...
3.)Cut barrel to length?
Or is there a form 4 in here somewhere.

Form 4 is only used to TRANSFER an existing NFA weapon. Since you are making the NFA weapon, you use a Form 1.

Here is a good step by step of how to SBR your rifle: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830

Just in case of what?

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"11. Send lower off for engraving. You do this before you send in any paperwork to the ATF in case something happens to your lower during shipping to the engraver or damage at the engraver. You don’t want to explain to the ATF that your NFA firearm is lost in the mail. Anybody that does this backwards is a complete idiot."

-http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Just in case of what?

"11. Send lower off for engraving. You do this before you send in any paperwork to the ATF in case something happens to your lower during shipping to the engraver or damage at the engraver. You don’t want to explain to the ATF that your NFA firearm is lost in the mail. Anybody that does this backwards is a complete idiot."

-http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9830

That is the point I was trying to make. I don't know why you would want to get it engraved after you get the Form 1 back. To me it is easier to deal with the engraving while it is still a title 1 gun and not an NFA weapon. YMMV

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh this was from the point of view of someone who has access to a local engraver.

But if you don't get the stamp tax for whatever reason, it would be unfortunate to have an engraved lower that has virtually no resale value.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh this was from the point of view of someone who has access to a local engraver.

But if you don't get the stamp tax for whatever reason, it would be unfortunate to have an engraved lower that has virtually no resale value.

If you can legally purchase the title 1 lower, there is no reason you would be denied the tax stamp.

Also, it is not like the lower is a high dollar item. They cost about as much as a tank of gas nowadays.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

rhetorical question....

Would it not be MORE unfortunate to have a lower that was engraved wrong and have to fix that mess with the .gov? Check on Arfcom it happens and when it does it's a mess

Lowers are too cheap to worry about 200 dollar tax in limbo for god knows how long and all the time it would take to remedy the issue.

I'd engrave first

Latest posts

Top Bottom