Shot 50 rounds with my CCW / 340PD today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have not tried one hand shots with .357 yet... but would not be afraid to try it with above Federal .357 SD ammo. NO way with some of the full house .357 loads I've been shooting.

wouldn't call resulting blast with Federal .357 158 gn mild... but fully controllable.
perhaps will try it next trip ...

Ever try one-handing it with those loads? I shot 3 in a row, and then had to put it down.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you noticed much difference in group size among the various ammo that you've tried?

I think I may have misread your earlier posts about the XS big dot sights. If you are just wanting to replace your front sight, I'd probably just give XS a call.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes!!! certain .357 loads produce less recoil... those rounds shoot patterns very close to +P loads (pie plate at 10yd). naturally those rounds are what I'm CCW.

some loads are too painful to shoot more than 2-3 rounds.
have not chrony any loads yet... that's coming up.

can't decide to go with XS front sights or Hiviz ... probably will go with small dot XS exactly like M&P 340

Have you noticed much difference in group size among the various ammo that you've tried?

I think I may have misread your earlier posts about the XS big dot sights. If you are just wanting to replace your front sight, I'd probably just give XS a call.

ithrowicecubes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could try some RBCD ammo...or not.

.357 Mag, 60 gr, Total Fragmenting Soft Point, 1975 fps / 520 flbs
.357 Mag, 50 gr, Tactical Personal Defense (Limited Range Round), 2270 fps / 572 flbs

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no can do... S&W says no less than 120gn bullets on 340PD
recoil force can unseat bullets not heavy enough

CCW ammo is Federal .357 158 gr which puts out 535 ft lb with a fragmented bullet similar to gold dot.

most any full house .357 hollow point will more than do the job for self defense.

You could try some RBCD ammo...or not.

.357 Mag, 60 gr, Total Fragmenting Soft Point, 1975 fps / 520 flbs
.357 Mag, 50 gr, Tactical Personal Defense (Limited Range Round), 2270 fps / 572 flbs

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the M&P340 with Crimson Trace laser grips. Went and put 5 full house 357 mag through it at the range Friday, and 20 38 +p. It is a hand full, and with the laser you can really get a good idea of the recoil. I ordered the wolff springs shooters pack, 8lb hammer spring and an 11lb rebound spring. It lightened the trigger pull up a TON! Having said all that, I don't feel comfortable shooting the 357 full house loads through it, so I listed it for sell/trade in the classifieds. I will pick up a non lock 442 or 642 and throw laser grips on it. The big dot front night sight is a nice sight picture though, I will miss that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom