shotgun in hand when answering unexpected knocks on door

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Due to increasing reports of home invasions all over.

shotgun in hand when answering unexpected knocks on door.
kids have been warned to know who's at door before opening.

don't believe me.... do a google search: home invasion Tulsa
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=home+invasion+tulsa&aq=f&aqi=g3&oq=&fp=69ff31901b811ad

16+ home invasions reported in Tulsa for month of Dec 2008 alone.
evidently they operate in groups of 2-3. they break-in homes at 3am or simply knock on the door, then overpower you.

They are not afraid of shooting victims. that's the part that concerns me the most. seems they shoot victim, rob, then disappear.

am I over reacting?

mr.theman

Marksman
Reaction score
Late night knocks on the door are always answered with a gun in my hand. usually it has been a pizza guy at the wrong house after 11pm. Once when we lived close to the tumble weeds it was a drunk at 3am and I answered the door barrel first and he sobered up real quick. Another time shortly after we moved to stillwater and lived close to the library there was a knock on the door about 3:30am so I get my shot gun and get up close to the door and rack the slide as loud as I can and yelled "who the ____ is it" , the voice on the other side said "Stillwater Police". I said oh hold on a minute and set the shotgun down next to the door and opened it a crack with the chain still on and there stood one of Stillwater's finest with his side arm drawn. My wifes car had slipped out of gear and rolled into the street. he politely asked if I would like to move it and then went on about his night.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't even bother answering unexpected knocks. I will, however, look through the peephole. If I don't recognize the person...the door isn't opening. Sorry, not home.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of a thread hijack but this reminded me of it: We live in the country with 6 neighbors within a mile of us. I took the kids to the OKC Zoo and left my pregnant wife at home alone. She calls me to report that there are 20+ cars in our driveway/front yard with people pouring out of them. I told her to grab the 870 and the cell phone to call the police(20min. response time from sherriff). She said they all had beer and liquor in hand. Party caravan at the wrong house! Prego lady with 870 walks onto the front porch to instruct kids that they have the wrong address which promptly caused a race to see who could get away the fastest.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you folks grab the shotty so fast? Mine is in a safe, due to 5 year old kiddo. Means I would have to first go to safe, open safe, grab and go. What sort of access do you folks have?

Latest posts

Top Bottom