Should Churches pay Taxes??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see how it would be constitutional to remove the tax exemptions from a religious 501C3 and leave a secular 501C3 alone.

I have no problem prosecuting individual churches for violations of the tax code, as long as that prosecution is fair and above-board. But don't punish all churches for the offenses of a few.

And I'll happily stipulate that some conservative churches hug the line pretty darn closely, if liberals will stipulate the same for their churches.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If churches stays out of the political arena and remains impartial to political candidates and public policy, then yes. It is what's required of them to remain a non-taxable entity. However, churches have been riding on the line especially lately. If churches want to become more politically involved, then yes. Tax them.

That's still nuts. A church is a group of believers. They should be free to express their political opinion just the same as a any other group. Telling a collective group of people that they shouldn't or can't express an opinion because they belong to the same religious demonination is jacked up.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's still nuts. A church is a group of believers. They should be free to express their political opinion just the same as a any other group. Telling a collective group of people that they shouldn't or can't express an opinion because they belong to the same religious demonination is jacked up.

Then they should pay just like every other group.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been through this before.

No one is telling anyone they can't express an opinion.
The tax code just says you can't be subsidized by the .gov for that opinion by way of tax exemption.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with a couple of the others, tithing and donations, no tax. Any operation though that is run "for profit", capital gains, etc should be subject to the same tax anyone else pays. This isn't just for churches, any non-profit should be treated this way.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The government should stay out of the church, the church should not be taxed. The church has the right to say whatever it wants about politics or any thing else. Endorse candidates etc. Show me a real church that has been fined for speaking about something. The truth is the churches have been egging on the IRS the last couple years and nothing has happened.

Latest posts

Top Bottom