Should Churches pay Taxes??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If churches want to have a say in the lawmaking process of this country, which they seem to really desire they shouldn't be given tax exempt status. They can perform good deeds all they want, feed the hungry, clothe the needy etc., and the money they take in to do that is rightfully exempt from tax. But when they want to put on the big boy pants and try to alter the course of the country they are clearly not operating in a charitable or religious manner.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have tax exempt status to keep the government from establishing one religion as the state religion.

Yes they are trying to influence the course of the country. Of course they operate in a charitable and religious manner, participation doesn't preclude that. They still have a say in the lawmaking processes of our country. They can't and won't be excluded.

Interesting how people can rationalize trying to silence a whole class of people. Here is a link that discusses the recent push back on the churches part. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/08/us-usa-tax-pulpit-idUSBRE89700E20121008

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you think feeding a hungry man and trying to replace science textbooks with the Bible are both cheritable acts then I just don't know what to tell you.

Religions are a multi billion dollar business, they hold assets of immense value and most turn profits. If a church maintained a building for worship and used the rest of their income to help the less fortunate then that's fine. But that just isn't the case.

No one is saying you can't have an opinion, people are saying that some churches are using tax free money to get candidates that they believe will push their agenda elected. That's a big part of what businesses do.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whether the church really ever does something good with the money or if someone just steals it the good has been done. Someone has made a choice to help someone else in place of voting to have someone else do it for them. True compassion comes out of your wallet and not from a voting booth.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recall this from when I attended church, so google searched it.

"Render unto Caesar…" is the beginning of a phrase attributed to Jesus in the synoptic gospels, which reads in full, "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's" (Ἀπόδοτε οὖν τὰ Καίσαρος Καίσαρι καὶ τὰ τοῦ Θεοῦ τῷ Θεῷ Matthew 22:21).

Some read the phrase "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's" as unambiguous at least to the extent that it commands people to respect state authority and to pay the taxes it demands of them. Paul the Apostle also states in Romans 13 that Christians are obliged to obey all earthly authorities, stating that as they were introduced by God, disobedience to them equates to disobedience to Go (wikipedia)

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recall this from when I attended church, so google searched it.

"Render unto Caesar…" is the beginning of a phrase attributed to Jesus in the synoptic gospels, which reads in full, "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's" (Ἀπόδοτε οὖν τὰ Καίσαρος Καίσαρι καὶ τὰ τοῦ Θεοῦ τῷ Θεῷ Matthew 22:21).

Some read the phrase "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's" as unambiguous at least to the extent that it commands people to respect state authority and to pay the taxes it demands of them. Paul the Apostle also states in Romans 13 that Christians are obliged to obey all earthly authorities, stating that as they were introduced by God, disobedience to them equates to disobedience to Go (wikipedia)

Pretty close on most of it. It would be un-christian like as an individual to not pay taxes. A good Christian is expected to be a good citizen and honor the laws. The obligation is there but of course has it's limits. The bible has many examples where the christian did not follow the orders of a king. A government that forces people to do things counter to their faith does not then have gods authority you reference.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Burn 'em down or put 'em on the tax rolls.

And while you're at it, keep 'em outta my State.

If you'll look at most of the bad behavior in history, you'll see it has been committed by those who are sure they get to come back, or go to heaven.

Seriously, we tax property, why not churches. Render unto Caesar . . .

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Burn 'em down or put 'em on the tax rolls.

And while you're at it, keep 'em outta my State.

If you'll look at most of the bad behavior in history, you'll see it has been committed by those who are sure they get to come back, or go to heaven.

Seriously, we tax property, why not churches. Render unto Caesar . . .

WOW! I guess you feel strongly

Latest posts

Top Bottom