Should I send off this Custom shop Colt for a real custom job??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Send this one off for a custom job?

• Total voters

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been thinking deeply, maybe too deeply about it and I think it would have more personal value to me if a great gunsmith like Dr Greyson or Durning Defense made it up to my specs.
Something that I could pass down to jr.

Here's a list of want I would like for function and cosmetic purposes.

With reliably 1st priority and still cosmetics a close second.

Hand fit everything. Slide, frame, parts. Remove all factory parts for later use.
Black Target sights (serrated) to make slide top serration).
Billet fire control parts installed.
Match barrel and trigger.
Melt edges/ejection port.
Serrations (lines running along top of slide from front to rear sights)on-flat top of slide.
Checkering rear & front sides of slide. (20lpi) Usually I see deep vertical serrations but I would like course checkering pattern.
Front strap checkering and high undercut trigger guard (25lpi strap)
Deep recess muzzle crown. (Just because I think it looks great)
Radius slide stop pin hole.
Bright bluing finish. Or???
VZ grips and new grip screws.
Magwell fitted and checkered 25lpi around the edges.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch it and I'm more of a shoot it guy instead of a collector. Find a good base gun or frame and slide and send it to Barry. You can get something like this and you won't have to cut up a collector gun.

i32.photobucket.com_albums_d8_JD8_027.jpg

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Add me to the "leave it alone" group. Your wife and kids got it for you, dude. They picked it out, found something they thought you'd like, and (likely) spent a fair bit of money on it. Leave it alone. Not all guns need to be shot. . .some are perfectly fine just being looked at.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see it the same way I see a car/truck/ or whatever. If I go buy a brand new truck and don't like the wheels, tires, decals, emblems, paint, stereo system, etc.... and I can change it to make me love it even more, and make it "mine", I'm going to do it. Half of owning something like that is pride of ownership, and if it gives you more pride in it, and love it that much more, hell yeah.

On that particular 1911, I like the exterior finish minus the grips, I would gut the inside of it, and chagne the grips, and leave everything else, then carry it and use it like it's meant to be used. That's just me though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom