SHOW us the WORST, NASTIEST, MOST ABUSED, MODIFIED....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pistol bullets really aren’t great stoppers. There is a reason that hospital emergency rooms successfully treat Gun Shot Wound patients on a regular basis. Having talked to many EMTs and trauma doctors, and examined a significant amount of pictures/medical reports, there is a negligible difference between the wounding capacity of the 9mm and the .40 S&W. The idea of “energy transfer” is misplaced in regard to wounding potential because the net amount of energy contained in a pistol bullet is pretty low when we think about really having dramatic effect on a human body (knocking someone down, for example). The damage that is done is created through cutting and crushing. The difference of a few grains of weight, a few feet per second of speed or a millimeter (literally) of diameter are not worth giving up on the faster strings of fire or the higher capacity mentioned above. While the .40 S&W round, especially in heavier versions, has more potential for penetration of intermediate barriers, the data on actual personal defense shooting suggests overwhelmingly that there are not likely to be any hard barriers to be penetrated. (Law Enforcement Officers face barriers much more often, presenting a stronger argument for the .40 in the role of police duty gun). Tom Givens’ Lessons From the Street DVD is a great example of real world self defense shooting data of the type that should be influencing our choices.

Oh where to start...... sometimes the "facts" and "science" should be best left for those that actually have a background in it. Rather, I'd love for him to prove that damage doesn't occur incrementally, especially in regards to bone and tougher tissue, considering his barrier comments.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a winner here: check the price and all ....
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=289364197
pics.gunbroker.com_GB_289364000_289364197_pix606093982.jpg

P.S. New sig is up!!!

P.P.S. Try shooting a match with a .40 ... see how really manageable it is.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd bet that the ones who are so hot for the 9mm.. if you told them that in 5 minutes they were going to be in a life & death shootout with someone else who had a 9mm...that one of them was gonna die and one live..... and that they had their choice of using a 9mm or a .40... they would reach for the .40! I'm a big guy and controlling a .40's recoil & keeping it on target is very easy for me. A 9mm is like shooting a cap gun for me.. no recoil at all. 4-5" patterns with the .40 and 3-4" patterns with the 9mm rapid fired. In center mass shots on a bad buy.. there would be no major difference in the location of multiple bullet strikes.. but the .40 will give larger permanent wounds cavities... if the HP doesn't expand for some reason

Nope I sure wouldn't. So long as I was armed I am perfectly fine with 9mm. I have no immediate use for 40. Shooting a 40 doesn't mean you would "win" or survive any more than the 9mm. No major difference in 3-4" vs 4-5" yet 1mm is a significant difference in size? Make up your mind as to what is big vs small or significant. 1mm or 5 hundredths of an inch isn't a large enough wound channel to truly end up significant if they don't expand. So, are you going to argue penetration next? IF so are you going to play 9mm over penetrates or not enough penetration? energy?

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope I sure wouldn't. So long as I was armed I am perfectly fine with 9mm. I have no immediate use for 40. Shooting a 40 doesn't mean you would "win" or survive any more than the 9mm. No major difference in 3-4" vs 4-5" yet 1mm is a significant difference in size? Make up your mind as to what is big vs small or significant. 1mm or 5 hundredths of an inch isn't a large enough wound channel to truly end up significant if they don't expand. So, are you going to argue penetration next? IF so are you going to play 9mm over penetrates or not enough penetration? energy?

You guys get a room! :smack:

Just Kidding Zombie!!!!!!!!

This debate over caliber/expansion/penetration/one shot stop business will never end. EVER!!!!

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a winner here: check the price and all ....
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=289364197
pics.gunbroker.com_GB_289364000_289364197_pix606093982.jpg

P.S. New sig is up!!!

P.P.S. Try shooting a match with a .40 ... see how really manageable it is.

That sir is an ABOMANATION of firearms. That "custom made" bolt extension is hideous! I understand the purpose of it, but looks like a 9yr old got a hold of the welding tools and went to town. If he is as good as he tries to make it out to be, then he should have removed the first rounded ball at the end of the original bolt by smoothing it out straight to be flat with the rest of the handle. Then added the rounded welded part of the new knob at the bottom. Looks stupid!

Latest posts

Top Bottom