Sig P938 range report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to start by saying that I am not a professional firearms journalist or competitive shooter but rather just a firearms enthusiast. I have no formal training in handguns and I'm sure many of you can shoot circles around me.

With that out of the way I'd like to provide a range report on the new Sig P938 compact 9mm. The goal for today was primarily to test the function of the gun with accuracy being secondary. After all, if the most accurate gun in the world won't cycle ammo, there's a bigger problem. There's been some reports on YouTube of the 938 having ejection issues as well as shooting low. Since most of us like 9mm handguns to be able to run inexpensive ammunition for range use, I decided to test various types of ammo.

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_IMG_0271.jpg

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_IMG_0272.jpg

The first test was basic ammo cycling at 8" steel knockdown targets at around 40 feet. I had about a 30% success rate knocking the targets down and if anything, I was shooting high rather than low as others have reported.

I then went to the 5 yard pistol targets and ran a variety of ammo. By the time I got there I had expended some of the partial boxes so I don't have targets pictured for all the ammo types I tested. In testing the ammo at 5 yards, I didn't spend much time aiming but rather just tried to get rounds on the target. All the targets other than the Federal had 12 rounds (2 mags) fired at them.

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_IMG_0273.jpg

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_IMG_0274.jpg

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_IMG_0275.jpg

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_IMG_0276.jpg

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_IMG_0277.jpg

Before I got started I wrapped my finger in medical tape since the trigger is fairly stiff and the grooves on it are sharp. I dryfired the gun probably 50 times last night and I did notice that by the end of shooting today the trigger felt much better. Either that or I had just gotten used to it.

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_Shooting_IMG_0278.jpg

All told I put 240 rounds through the 938 today. I even ran four mags where each round was a different type of ammo. NOT ONE SINGLE FTF, FTE, not even the slightest hiccup. The gun functioned beautifully and digested everything I fed it. I had very high expectations for this gun and it is everything I hoped it would be.

It's now officially "on duty".

Hope this is helpful for anyone curious about the P938.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, that makes me feel better. If I can get myself up in the morning before it gets hot, I'll let you know how they handle Remington.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remington sucks! I already knew that based on my experience with Remington Golden Bullets. Add 9mm FMJ 115 gr to the list; at least for this pistol. Flatwins, if you ever try it, let us know your experience. And, anyone else.

For me, I don't recall having more than 2 successful feeds in a row. Just about every 3rd was a FTF. I struggled through about 30-35 rounds and was ready to have a sit-down with Sig. Then I loaded up my Camp 9 with the same ammo and it ran like a clock.

Exasperated, I pulled out a box of Federal FMJ 115 gr and, with them, the Sig was perfect. About 40 rounds and not an issue. I also had 6 Federal Hydra-Shok 135 gr JHP. No issues.

When I got home, I inspected the Remington and Federal side by side.

ammo.JPG

That's the Federal on the left. It is obviously longer. However, the Federal JHP is about the same length as the Remington, so that's not the issue. But, take a look at the juncture of the bullet with the case. The Remington has a very noticably bigger "lip" and I think that was catching on the edge of the chamber. It is very noticable when you run your finger over it.

I think I'll talk to Sig about it to see if there is experience on it.

I was down on the creek, so no targets. However, I had a real tendency to shoot left and low. I had to be patient to get stuff down range the way it should go. But, it was me, not the pistol. Those damn Remingtons were occupying my mind.

Flatwins, you are right about that trigger. I'm not sure what their logic was on that design. Tape is a good idea.

I feel good about the pistol. Would feel better if it would eat everything. As time goes on, it probably will.

However, I have bought my last Remington ammo.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an aside, I mentioned I shot the Camp 9 for the first time. It reminds me very much of an M1 Carbine. Even the sound of the action slamming shut after each round. It's a lot of fun and surprisingly accurate. A good SHTF gun. I think I'll keep it. The old eyes don't work all that well with irons, but I think a red dot would be perfect for it.

At the end, I pulled out the GSG-5. What a hoot that thing is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom