Skinning cradle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone built one? I plan on building one for skinning pigs. Just wondering if anyone has any input. Width, round pipe, square tubing ?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a pretty good idea on how I want to build one. I have some 1 3/4" pipe plus other scrap. I plan on putting a lift similar to a cherry picker on one end so I can swing to the side and pick up the animal and swing it back over the cradle. I have a small winch I plan to use on the lift part.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a old bathtub I want to also have to one side If I want to scald and scrape. Double burner camp chef I never use for heating water.
Speaking of an old bath tub.
Watched a video last night where a guy dug a hole big enough to bury a bathtub in that was flush to the ground. Backfilled around it, and then used the extra dirt to mix with a concoction of minerals to make a permanent mineral lick. Left the drain hole open so excess moisture could drain out.
Thought that was a pretty good idea. The minerals couldn't leach into the surrounding soil, keeping it all there in one spot.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they are talking about a "fleshing board" or "fleshing beam". It's for scraping the goo off the underside of the skin. I want to make one. Google image search shows some really simple construction techniques. It seems wood or pvc is the way to go.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you not like to hang them and skin them?

I think they are talking about a "fleshing board" or "fleshing beam". It's for scraping the goo off the underside of the skin. I want to make one. Google image search shows some really simple construction techniques. It seems wood or pvc is the way to go.
I've hanged plenty of deer but watching my butcher neighbor skin one on it's back before hanging is much easier. Skin each side down and all that is left is the back once in the air. No bending down , no spinning around.

Not a fleshing board. It's a cradle for holding the animal feet up on its back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom