Small engine/Mower Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I loaned a mower to a friend 3 weeks ago and he called me and said it will not start.
He mowed with it 1 time.
I asked him if it had fuel in it and No water.
Yes fuel and No to the water.

I asked if he cleaned the plug..NO.
Bring it to me.
I pulled the spark plug and water was beaded up on the plug.

Water will bead up shake it onto your hand off the spark plug or onto some metal.
Gasoline will lay flat and evaporate quickly.. Water just beads or sits there.

I dumped the fuel from the tank into a quart jar and had 3" of water in the bottom sitting under 3" of gasoline.

I blew the fuel tank dry and poured the gasoline out of the jar slowly not allowing any water to follow.
Fired right up 2 pulls.

He said he stored it in the garage.. I wonder if that was after it rained and i wonder if the fuel can was contaminated. I gave it to him with fresh fuel.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I loaned a mower to a friend 3 weeks ago and he called me and said it will not start.
He mowed with it 1 time.
I asked him if it had fuel in it and No water.
Yes fuel and No to the water.

I asked if he cleaned the plug..NO.
Bring it to me.
I pulled the spark plug and water was beaded up on the plug.

Water will bead up shake it onto your hand off the spark plug or onto some metal.
Gasoline will lay flat and evaporate quickly.. Water just beads or sits there.

I dumped the fuel from the tank into a quart jar and had 3" of water in the bottom sitting under 3" of gasoline.

I blew the fuel tank dry and poured the gasoline out of the jar slowly not allowing any water to follow.
Fired right up 2 pulls.

He said he stored it in the garage.. I wonder if that was after it rained and i wonder if the fuel can was contaminated. I gave it to him with fresh fuel.
you should have just gone and mowed his grass for him. would have saved and been easier. i have an old mower that takes 30 min to get it to run every time. it is my loaner......have a trailer with a rotted floor and tore up fenders no brakes or lights etc. it is my loaner. i also have one neighbor who if he borrows something it always comes back better than when he took it!!! no matter what.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just gone and mowed his grass for him. would have saved and been easier.

No his yard is large and dog crap in it.
My Neighbor moved and gave me that broken push mower and his broken riding mower.

10 minutes on each one and I had them running.
I have many push mowers that work.. does not hurt my feelings to loan one to someone that needs one.
This was a no frills weed eater side discharge mower.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No his yard is large and dog crap in it.
My Neighbor moved and gave me that broken push mower and his broken riding mower.

10 minutes on each one and I had them running.
I have many push mowers that work.. does not hurt my feelings to loan one to someone that needs one.
This was a no frills weed eater side discharge mower.

I’m looking for old Gravelys. I agree the guy walks in is own ****!

Latest posts

Top Bottom