Small engine/Mower Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be the coil has gone bad and isn’t giving you a strong enough spark. I’ve had that happen on a couple of small engines over the last few years; seems small engine coils really aren’t made like they used to be.
Probably is the coil. My vote says yes. Small chance it could also be the spark plug wire as they will separate at the plug and the plug boot Easy fix if it’s that

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think my Toro has that same Honda motor,

I’ll try to explain as easy as I can…

When mine died on me you know what it was? You know the cable that runs to the handle that you have to hold down to even be able to start it and keep it running. The cable runs down to a lever on the engine. My cable stretched and was no longer pulling that lever far enough back to disengage the safety of whatever you want to call it.. I hooked a bungee chord up to it and it pulls the lever far enough back now and my mower stays running if I need to pick something up in the yard.

Not sure if that’s your issue but that’s the issue I had. I was mowing one day and it just started dying on me.

I had this same issue a few summers ago. I tied a knot in the cable and fixed it that way. First thing I checked though.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although I do not feel that is the issue with the ground kill.
I will put this here since many are probably looking at this thread.

That spring that is attached to the run kill cable is 10X too strong.
I rate it the same as a garbage disposal in a kitchen sink.

That disposal is intended to keep plumbers in business no other reason for it.
You should put food scraps in the trash can not the plumbing of your house.

Now that spring being super stiff like it is will wear on the cable and the parts attached to it.
I have received many free mowers and mowers to fix because of this stupid heavy spring.
I remove it and put in a much lighter spring. Along the lines of a carb return spring or old window springs.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Although I do not feel that is the issue with the ground kill.
I will put this here since many are probably looking at this thread.

That spring that is attached to the run kill cable is 10X too strong.
I rate it the same as a garbage disposal in a kitchen sink.

That disposal is intended to keep plumbers in business no other reason for it.
You should put food scraps in the trash can not the plumbing of your house.

Now that spring being super stiff like it is will wear on the cable and the parts attached to it.
I have received many free mowers and mowers to fix because of this stupid heavy spring.
I remove it and put in a much lighter spring. Along the lines of a carb return spring or old window springs.
AMEN Amen Amen tell em how it is.!!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
There is a safety switch under the flywheel. The plug will have spark but won’t allow the motor to fire. I know, it doesn’t make sense. I’ve had to do a couple of them. It’s a little black box about 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch. It plugs into the simple harness. Part is about $20. If you’ve tried everything else and you have fuel and spark but it won’t run on starting fluid, that would be my next move

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will double check that also but I looked at it yesterday. From what I have found this morning I think it’s the thermowax on the auto choke but until I get off work I can only spend a few minutes here and there dicking with it Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom