Small engine/Mower Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try kicking it and yelling at it...my husband does that when things are broken....
I had a friend call and ask me why his mower wouldn't start. Had him pull the flywheel and check the key on the crankshaft. It was slightly off set, almost sheared so had him go get another one. He said it started, then backfired and wouldn't start again.
When I pulled up to his yard, he was attacking it with a 16lb sledge hammer. Sure wouldn't start after that.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a 4-stroke, I believe. You have checked the fuel and air filter. You may check the compression just to make sure. Also, if it has a primer bulb and everything else checks out, replace that little sucker, if it is not on the carb and came with the new one. Choke is hooked up and working correctly.

Last edited:

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Okay so my push mower has a Honda GCV190LA engine on it. Was running just fine then died. When it restarted it was running funny and just assumed it was the carb. It was at least 8 years old so bought a new carb and replaced. Now the sucker won’t start at all. If I add gas to the spark plug hole or the carb directly, it will start and die right away. Also went ahead and changed the plug. The carb itself is def getting gas because it’s in the bowl but doesn’t seem to be pushing gas to the engine

Im not super handy but I can usually figure this out but no luck on this so far.

I think my Toro has that same Honda motor,

I’ll try to explain as easy as I can…

When mine died on me you know what it was? You know the cable that runs to the handle that you have to hold down to even be able to start it and keep it running. The cable runs down to a lever on the engine. My cable stretched and was no longer pulling that lever far enough back to disengage the safety of whatever you want to call it.. I hooked a bungee chord up to it and it pulls the lever far enough back now and my mower stays running if I need to pick something up in the yard.

Not sure if that’s your issue but that’s the issue I had. I was mowing one day and it just started dying on me.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But would that let it start just by pouring fuel in the spark plug hole? That would be a safety switch not getting engaged, or not??

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend call and ask me why his mower wouldn't start. Had him pull the flywheel and check the key on the crankshaft. It was slightly off set, almost sheared so had him go get another one. He said it started, then backfired and wouldn't start again.
When I pulled up to his yard, he was attacking it with a 16lb sledge hammer. Sure wouldn't start after that.
Sounds exactly like something I would do in a fit !!!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to get my gas push mower and generator running. I hope to trade them off for a small riding mower so I can keep up with my yard.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old fix all .

Latest posts

Top Bottom