Small first aid kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
tweezers
razor blade
eye drops
latex gloves

Don't forget a box of condoms, you can use it to hold ice, but you never know when opportunity will knock.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Celox is the best clotting agent on the market. I would go with that over quick clot.

3 major things are
-tourniquet
-celox
-Israeli bandage or some type of gauze.

The tampon/maxi pad stuff isn't ideal and doesn't really have a place in a first aid kit. They're designed to soak up blood. If we are talking stopping blood, the goal isn't to absorb the blood. It's to stop or reduce the flow of blood to let the bodies natural defense mechanism of clotting to happen. This is why celox is great because it speeds this up. If we are only soaking up blood our heart will keep pumping it out. We want to use direct pressure to limit or stop the flow of blood. To be honest direct pressure is going to stop almost every bleed.

All of its useless without some basic training. Even an hr on YouTube could save your or someone's life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quikclot is great to have, assuming you treat it as it is meant to be used.

If the wound is bad enough to require a tourniquet, and you can't put one on/don't have one, then Quikclot is your go-to item.

Anything less than that, and it can possibly do more harm than good. It tends to fuse the bandage to the wound, which can be nasty if you don't have the ability to get to medical facilities promptly

First Aid I was taught was to put a tourniquet on the wound as a last resort to save a limb. (way back in the day)

I was given the quick clot as a gift to add to my backpack.

What is the current train of thought. I know these items about first aid go through an evolution process. I'd like to know where we stand now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Celox is the best clotting agent on the market. I would go with that over quick clot.

3 major things are
-tourniquet
-celox
-Israeli bandage or some type of gauze.

The tampon/maxi pad stuff isn't ideal and doesn't really have a place in a first aid kit. They're designed to soak up blood. If we are talking stopping blood, the goal isn't to absorb the blood. It's to stop or reduce the flow of blood to let the bodies natural defense mechanism of clotting to happen. This is why celox is great because it speeds this up. If we are only soaking up blood our heart will keep pumping it out. We want to use direct pressure to limit or stop the flow of blood. To be honest direct pressure is going to stop almost every bleed.

All of its useless without some basic training. Even an hr on YouTube could save your or someone's life.

Same question to you. Why tourniquet first?

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same question to you. Why tourniquet first?

I don't necessarily think it's the #1 thing on the list but the views of tourniquets have changed from even ten years ago. It used to be a last resort thing. Because of combat medicine we have learned that you're not going to injure the limb further by putting on a tourniquet. You and I could put one on our arms and leave it for 6-8 hours and not sustain any long term damage.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The tourniquet still isn't first choice to stop a bleed, unless it's just obvious that nothing else is going to, which is where the training comes in. Just assuming the firefighterguy listed it first in his items he wanted in his first aid kit. I wouldn't consider it an item to be carried in a small first aid kit like the OP is referring to. I do have them in my field bag, but then again I've also got bag valve masks and 02 in there also, something else that won't be found in a first aid kit lol. I guess when I think of first aid kit, I'm thinking blisters, splinters and sunburns.

Edit: Spooky, guess we were typing at the same time lol.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See I remeber in scouts learning about tourniquets and it was always last resort if someone was going to die with out it l, you save their life but they lose the limb.

Latest posts

Top Bottom