Small single stack pistols

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I've finally narrowed down to what I interested in.

Glock 36
Glock 42
XDs 4.0 (.40S&W)
Walther PPS (.40S&W)

I've thought about the M&P Shield (in .40S&W) but the last M&P I had didn't work out with me AT ALL! So I'm kinda skeptical about it.

I'm also thinking about a Kahr CW40, not sure though on that. I still needa' practice with my dad's CW9 to see if I actually want a CW40 as of right now, but I will get one one day. Better yet if I had the money for a Kahr K40! :)

Maybe even a Sig P239, that's my dream single stack pistol (in .40S&W though), but it's still I but to large compared to the others I've mentioned.

So still, if anyone has any other options for a good single stack pistol in any caliber, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Imo, the best out there is a colt govt .380. I do like the similar sig and the Kimberly solo was on my list....just leary of the published reviews.

Most of these are a bit pricey so if I was getting a .380, I'd go glock or kahr.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old Colt Government, a new Colt Mustang, 3 Glock 42's, and a HK P7 but my favorite one to carry is my Boberg XR9-s. It feels the best in my hand and shoots the best. Incredibly comfortable. You're welcome to come shoot them all before you decide.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old Colt Government, a new Colt Mustang, 3 Glock 42's, and a HK P7 but my favorite one to carry is my Boberg XR9-s. It feels the best in my hand and shoots the best. Incredibly comfortable. You're welcome to come shoot them all before you decide.

I totally forgot about the Boberg XR9-s, they are a bit pricey but I think it's worth the money.
I for sure wanna try out the Boberg and the Glock 42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is are my take and what I own in single stack pistols: Kahr pm40, shield 40, bodyguard 380, Kahr cw380. I carry my pm40 every single day of the week. It isn't that much larger than the 380s, but is a bit smaller than the shield. With an extra mag, that allows me to carry 11 rounds of 40. Why carry a 380 when I can have the stopping power of a 40? The only time I carry one of the the 380s is when I'm wearing starched jeans and a button up. I then carry one of them in a wallet holster. I have found that if I can carry my shield, I can carry my m&p40c which gives me 3 or 4 more in the magazine. I was very interested in the 42, but it is as big as my pm40, and dwarfs my other 380s. My opinion and mentality is that I want as much firepower that I am able to conceal with ease. When it comes to 380s it is all personal preference. Whatever feels good in the hand and you are able to put lead on target with, is what you should shoot. IMHO a 380 is nothing to sneeze at. I'm an EMT, and if I show up on scene with a patient that has 5 holes in their center mass, it is going make my job very difficult regardless if it was a 380 or 9mm. Don't know if this helps, but this is how I see things.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, a pm40 is NOT fun to shoot. I practice enough with it to be proficient, but it is almost like shooting a 357 air weight snubby. If this is going to be your only pistol, just know that the recoil of the single stack 40 is considerable. It doesn't bother me, but most that I have let shoot my pm40 have ran one mag through and don't want anything more to do with it. The shield is much more pleasant, but like I said earlier it is a bit larger so it tames the recoil a bit.

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold my G26 which was my EDC for quite sometime yesterday. I was in search of a small, thin, light, single stack pistol. I had it in my mind to go with the Glock 42, since with the correct ammo (Anything with an XTP, Precision One, HPR, Fiocchi, Hornaday) you can get enough penetration and good expansion that can rival some 9mm loads. So I went to the gun shop this morning and had them line up a G42, Kahr P380, Kahr PM9, Nano, XDS, and Sig 938. The 938 SAS came home with me. A couple hundred dollars more expensive than the G42 I THOUGHT I had my mind set on, but in reality the 938 and G42 are almost exact in all sizes. I had them lined up and they were close enough that it was a no brainer to go ahead and get a 9mm. The SAS has the melt treatment, and it is two tone and one beautiful looking gun. It came with night sights as well. So I got what I was looking for. A very concealable full power single stack pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom