SmartCarry experiences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here use a SmartCarry? I've decided to order one for the times where I need more concealment than usual instead of getting a pocket pistol or ankle holster, unless public opinion sways me against them. What say you?

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one. I only use for short term (when on a plane for 1/2 day or less). It allows me to wear shorts and is concealable. However, it is in the way when going to pee. I like the shirt with the pocket under the arm better as it is out of the way...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used one off and on for several years with both a 2 1/4" Ruger SP101 and a Ruger LC9. While I wouldn't hold them up as a perfect concealed carry solution, I've had pretty good luck. Naturally, you kind of have to work out exactly where to carry it or it can be uncomfortable.

I don't have much trouble going to pee with it; I'm usually able to rotate it to the side enough to get the job done. In my opinion, it makes drawing a relatively slow 2-handed proposition (can be done one-handed, but the draw goes from slow to slower). I have some fancy dress slacks I still get too much printing with even the SmartCarry, but it does allow me to carry in far more situations than my larger guns in IWB rigs.

I've never tried them, but I wouldn't doubt the shirt holster rigs tranger2 mentioned are probably better in some ways. However, I would feel like I had to wash one of those just like an undershirt every time I wore it. Last I looked, they cost about the same as the SmartCarry. In any given week I could wear my SC every day without washing it, but it would be pretty expensive to have a week's worth of the holster shirts.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shirt holsters look appealing, but i would think it would be uncomfortable and print front and/or back if not wearing a suit jacket or such? I typically wear polo's or tshirts.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The holster shirt I have is a mesh and I wear a t shirt under it. I don't have to wash it every day, just the t shirt.
You can't wear skin tight shirts or it will show. But it works fine with a little larger shirt. You arm basically covers it since it rides under your arm.

RichardA76

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how long the material will hold up with somewhat daily use or even every few days use. Most all long term holsters are either a rigid plastic or leather. At nearly $100 for 3 shirts I am just curious if it is truly a long term option or simply every once in a great while thing.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how long the material will hold up with somewhat daily use or even every few days use. Most all long term holsters are either a rigid plastic or leather. At nearly $100 for 3 shirts I am just curious if it is truly a long term option or simply every once in a great while thing.

The Kramer shirt holster is washable nylon. Leather would deteriorate faster in a sweaty armpit, and I don't even want to think about putting a hard kydex holster there.
Mine washes up just fine, but I don't wear it in cool weather, nor every day in hot weather. Had it for 8 years.
It does not show under any normal "big boy" shirts. Will show through white underwear t shirts, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom