Smith and Wesson Shield Plus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The plate will set the sight up a few thousandths and should help with your POA/POI issue.

What I'm trying to figure out is the angle you mentioned measuring and it sounds as if it's by design. If so I'd consider that a pretty large faux pas from S&W to cut it for a sight that's not anywhere near mainstream. If that's the case...
It is odd. You would think that SW would put that info out instead of getting tons of guns getting sent back and having to pay for shipping for nothing

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is odd. You would think that SW would put that info out instead of getting tons of guns getting sent back and having to pay for shipping for nothing
At this point I don't know what to believe. Some guys use a plate and have no issues. Others have the same deal going on as the OP here. Seems like a pretty good number of reports online to just be a manufacturing defect.

I can kinda see S&W pushing towards the CT sights since they own them, but it seems like they are also cutting out a significant amount of sales if the cutout is that much different. I wonder if you could even get an answer that it is different by calling them and asking? From the OP it doesn't sound like it.

ETA: It uses the Shield SMS cut. It does fit a lot of sights. My question is why the angle? I'd be curious to know if Glock or Sig mills them the same.

Last edited:
Reaction score
At this point I don't know what to believe. Some guys use a plate and have no issues. Others have the same deal going on as the OP here. Seems like a pretty good number of reports online to just be a manufacturing defect.

I can kinda see S&W pushing towards the CT sights since they own them, but it seems like they are also cutting out a significant amount of sales if the cutout is that much different. I wonder if you could even get an answer that it is different by calling them and asking? From the OP it doesn't sound like it.

ETA: It uses the Shield SMS cut. It does fit a lot of sights. My question is why the angle? I'd be curious to know if Glock or Sig mills them the same.
Already measured other guns. They are within .002" front to back and the optics sit flush. The finish is smooth on the 43x mos and p365. The finish on the shield has all kinds of tool marks

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sighted my Shield Plus with plate in today, no issues.

Attachments

• IMG_8654.jpg
    IMG_8654.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8661.jpg
    IMG_8661.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 0

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you Sir! I'll not write it off just yet.

I'm gonna buy a Sig 365 something (probably XL), a Shield Plus or a G48 MOS. Think I'll go rent them all and decide after shooting them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Crimson Trace reasoning makes zero sense to me. If they milled at a slant to make the CT work then wouldn't that mean the CT would be incompatible with EVERY other O.R. cut slide or at the very edge of it's adjustment to work?🤔

Reaction score
It's on the way back to them. Customer Service literally told me to draw them a picture with a description. I laid it all out for them with the basic math. If it is indeed designed to have taper in it then that's just stupid and that's a design flaw. My expectation is that the optic cut be milled flat.
If they return it again and say it's right, I'll be returning the gun and I'll never purchase a Smith & Wesson product again.
I've owned a lot of guns. This has by far been the worst customer experience with one.

Reaction score
In with
It's on the way back to them. Customer Service literally told me to draw them a picture with a description. I laid it all out for them with the basic math. If it is indeed designed to have taper in it then that's just stupid and that's a design flaw. My expectation is that the optic cut be milled flat.
If they return it again and say it's right, I'll be returning the gun and I'll never purchase a Smith & Wesson product again.
I've owned a lot of guns. This has by far been the worst customer experience with one.
In with the obligatory "keep us posted". The Shield Plus is in the #1 slot along with the Walther PPS m2 to replace my current carry piece. Really like to see how it goes with yours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom