Smith quit making k frame 357's for a reason, guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummm... trying to figure out why the original post. Btw, pistolguy, if your fiance is "using a Kahr cm9," I probably wouldn't admit that on a public forum if she is a felon. Just sayin'...

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has Redneck1861 been reincarnated?

Gunkid

Not only a quick draw, he knows more than anybody in the world about being a quicky. I feel proud he is now an osa member, I think I'm gonna learn a lot.

Yes, young padawan learner, listen to him grasshopper.

God made man, but the 22 auto made them equal

Only if you use a silencer out of a 2 liter pop bottle.

Or maybe, if I remember right; Gecko45?

Nope, Gecko was actually a real gun guy razzing everyone. I think this guy believes his own press, (Gunkid)

Our wise teacher seems to have abandoned us!

No, he only can sneek onto the computer at the halfway house when no one is watching..

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Bill Jordan came up with the 'K' frame concept. He never intended it to be fired with full charge magnum loads. He was law enforcement and wanted a lightweight sidearm capable of firing mag loads on duty.

As others said, practice/plink with mid range loads. SD/hunting w/high powered loads. I reload, and all of my 357 loads are loaded to ~38 special/38 special +P loads.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently read that the model 65 was developed for the OHP because they wanted a stainless version of the model 13

That is correct. They also had 10-6's in .357. I used to have a model 13-1 that was overstamped on a 10-6 marked frame. It was very close serial wise to being a NYSP gun. I guess my model 19 must be a pos according to this jackwagon!

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From everything I have ever read the only round that caused problems in the K frame was the full house 125 grain. I have ever read about a cracked forcing cone from shooting 158's.

nemesis

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
From everything I have ever read the only round that caused problems in the K frame was the full house 125 grain. I have ever read about a cracked forcing cone from shooting 158's.

In line with that theory,

The 125 grain bullets driven to maximum velocities used large charges of relatively slow-burning powders. Handloaders know the powder types as WW296 and H-110, among others. The combination of slow ball-type powders and the short bearing surface of the 125 bullets allows prolonged gas cutting of the forcing cone and top strap area, accelerating erosion and wear.

Borescope studies of rifle, machine gun, and auto cannon chamber throats shows a lizzard-skin-like texture due to this gas cutting damage, called "brinelling". The results of brinelling are fine microcracks that weaken the surface of the steel, and further promote erosion. In machine guns and auto cannons, barrel life is measured in terms of "useable accuracy", and round counts that determine this are based on group sizes at engagement ranges.

In the K-frame magnums, the forcing cone dimensions combined with the barrel shank dimensions results in a relatively thin shank at the 6 o'clock position, where a machine cut is made to clear the crane. This is usually where the forcing cone cracks. The L and N frames use much beefier barrel shanks and do not have this cut. S&W intended the K frame magnums to be "carried much and fired seldom" service arms, designed to fire .38 Specials indefinitely, with light to moderate use of .357 Magnums. You notice that S&W has discontinued production of K frame .357 magnums, no doubt due to product liability issues and a couple generations of K frame magnum experience.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate .357 mag anyway. It's loud in an eardrum rupturing way and blinds a person at night. I carry +p .38 specials in all my .357 mags.

The only gun I like to shoot the full loads in is my IMI Timberwolf.

Latest posts

Top Bottom