Smith & Wesson 357 Mag Information?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thread and welcome to the forum! A few years back there was a group buy here and several guys ended up with GP100s. I suspect several members still have them.

The guys before me have given some good advice so I can't add much. Let us know how you like your GP100. I'd like to have one in .327 Fed mag but can't really justify it.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well. Holy Sh*t.

It is big and loud. Like I told my wife, if I miss the guy in the house, the flash and the noise will scare the hell out of him, but we'll be deaf for a few days either way. This will definitely take some getting used to, but I did find it's better for me to cock the hammer before firing, makes for less of an anticipation issue, at least for me, easier trigger pull. It was a quick trip down to Thunderbird, so unsure of my accuracy, we didn't really set up any targets for ourselves but I hit his gong at 75 ft (I think), 3 out of 6 shots.

If the bullet, flash and sound doesn't scare the guy off, I'm sure I could easily beat the hell out of him with it.

We all had hearing protection while shooting, but it was very easy to know when the 357 was being fired. The books says it'll shoot .38 rounds, will these be as loud and obnoxious?
Thanks for the input everyone.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
that model 66 in the classifieds is a bit high priced for what it is. $400 would be a more reasonable price.

I don't think he is that far off on the price, although I would offer less than what he is asking.

S&W Pinned & Recessed revolvers are popular with collectors, and the 66 is basically a stainless Model 19 which is one of the most popular.

AK, would you sell that gun for $400 if it was yours?

BTW, it appears the gun is SPF.

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Can you explain what pinned and recessed means?
Thanks.

Basically it is the old school way of S&W revolver building that some feel made a better quality handgun.

The barrels were pinned, and the chambers were recessed on some of the revolvers built before 1982.

Although I usually prefer P&R, the L-frame revolvers (581, 586, 681, 686), as referenced in the video, have proven to be a very well built guns.

Here is a video that explains it briefly.

S&W Pinned and Recessed

Latest posts

Top Bottom