Snow chains/straps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wives vehicle the tires are needing to be replaced in the next year or so but not really right now. I would replace them but the quotes I have got so far are $1200 - 1400. So I am wanting to wait till next fall or summer. I am looking for some tire chains or straps. Tell me your experiences and suggestions. She drives a VW Toureg sp?? that is AWD. This is the first winter to have it so I am not sure how it is going to handle snow/ice. I do not want to worry about my wife getting stuck while I am at work or out of town she works late alot.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to discount tire, and use their no interest financing. She can only use the straps or chains at certain speeds, and only when the weather is bad. You may not always be around to install them, and you are specifically wanting them for when you cant be there....If she were to improperly install them, it would cost you a lot more than the tires would have. Keep a shovel and kitty litter or tube sand (sand will provide extra weight and can be used in place of kitty litter when she gets stuck) and show her how to use them.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chains...I agree..are they still legal? Go to Pepboys amd get their cables. I got tbeir cables last year and went to HomeDepot and bought 8-60lb sand socks. Never used the cables,sand did great. Did the same for this year with the sand socks. Also one of the many reasons I keep my little Nissan beater. Wife hates to go out in snow and crowded malls in her sports car....so use mine...door dings, sliding in the snow, feeding cattle...no problem. Now when I absolutely have to get a new truck....4x4, for sure.

Cohiba

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't have nice wheels you can use coat hangers, put it through the slots in the rims and over the tire and twist it on top of the tire. I will really help get moving on the ice and last almost as long as some of the cheap straps i bought at walmart years ago.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some snow cables 3 years ago for a drive to Tahoe for my 2WD Tahoe. Only used them twice. You have to be careful putting them on. The snow we had on Christmas two winters ago I used them, got one of the cable twisted and cut a brake line. I did not slip once though. However, the snow we had last year, she probably wouldn't have needed them because her issue would have been clearance not traction.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chains can be a real lifesaver in the right situation, but they are not a replacement for bad tires. They are difficult/messy to put on without practice and you might only need them 2-3 hrs. in a year. They are something to have in the trunk/toolbox, but not as a staple for the occassional slick road. Buy a little cheaper tire and forget it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom