Snow Reports?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure about out here, but there are Highways that are impassable unless you have 4x4 and chains. Highway patrol enforced...
That's generally in the mountains; I know the CHP enforces it in the mountain passes--a friend of mine who used to live in Kahleefohneeya (and says he'll never return because several of his rifles are no longer legal there, despite originally being purchased there) told me about the CHP forcing him to put snow chains on the rear wheels of his FWD car... There aren't many places in Oklahoma where you'd need 4WD or chains to access something by road.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not disagreeing, just stating 2wd won't take you "anywhere. " I know it can take you many places, but not anywhere.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

DeeJay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was driving too fast for his vehicle. A 2-wheel drive pickup truck with no weight in the back cannot travel on an ice covered road at the same speed as a front wheel drive or four wheel drive vehicle. Saw so many people in 2-wheel drive pickups trying to do that yesterday in OKC. I guess people think they are driving a pickup so they must be invincible.

If the guy in the video had added extra weight in the bed of the pickup right over the drive axle he might have had a better chance of keeping the rear end attached to road. 200 pounds of sand bag tubes is what I put in the back of my truck and it's 4-wheel drive.

If I was driving rear wheel drive pickup in the winter I'd probably invest in a set of Blizzak tires to run in the winter. Put them on their own rims so you can put them on or take them off as needed. People here just need to slow down on the ice.

I keep a dozen concrete blocks stacked by the shop for winter. Throw them in the back of the truck in winter.
Personally, I see no use for winter/snow tires in Oklahoma, especially if the vehicle is 4wd.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad always said he never had a need for 4WD, that being said he never went anywhere where there wasn't a tractor or dozer to pull him out if he needed it, which kind of goes against the "all you need is 2WD" argument. 4WD certainly has its place and is definitely needed for some applications, but you can do a lot with a 2WD truck if you know how to drive in different instances(i.e. don't ever stop in the mud, weigh down the bed in icy conditions, etc.). Had an old timer tell me if I ever wanted a camper on my 2WD truck to get a metal one(instead of fibreglass), because it helps to weigh the back down even more in snowy/icy conditions.

As a side note: How many of you set your e-brake in sub freezing conditions? lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom