So.... driving in the left lane will soon get ya a ticket!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma had a nearly identical law several years ago that was repealed after a senator was cited for violating it. It was replaced with a basicly unenforceable version. Allegedly traffic fatalities rose under the replacement statute so ODOT and OHP pitched putting it back like it was.
I've been told that fatalities are lower in states with similar laws but I really don't care enough to research it for myself. I'm generally driving fast enough that I'm always passing someone....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Nor is common sense. Using common sense can get you a ticket as fast as ignorance of the law with this law. If you need to make a split second decision while jockeying for position on the highway, just remember what they say about bowel movements and being able to see. You'd better just close an eye and pass some gas. Mark my words: This is a stupid law that will get someone killed.

Woody

Your post makes no sense. This law was intended to improve highway safety, not degrade it. People who can't make the correct choice to use the left lane to pass and then move over (traffic allowing), are a safety hazard. I see clueless drivers every day who immediately jump into the left lane and drive under the speed limit. They act like they own the lane and hate everyone passing them on the right. They don't have any business on the highway in the first place and should stick to surface streets and feeder roads, if they can't safely obey traffic laws and make critical decisions at speed.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huh?
Many states have this same law and strictly enforce the law.

Maybe so, but are there any statistics that show this to be a good law beyond a revenue source and an excuse to pull someone over for some 'suspicious' activity for which there is no evidence beyond suspicion? I can see it being a law enforcement tool like being pulled over for an illegal lane change and finding a stash of drugs or some such. But, other than being a law to hopefully clear the left lane of pokey drivers, has it saved lives in those states where such a law has been in effect - and enforced - that showed a decline in highway accidents, injuries, and deaths?

Don't get me wrong by thinking I am opposed to pulling over to let someone pass. I am aware of approaching traffic from behind and I will pull over as soon as I have completed my passing, but if I'm in the left lane in high traffic, I will not yield to someone who is behind me if I can't speed up or would have to slow down to pull over into the lane on my right just to let someone 'take my place' in the higher speed lane only for that driver to be unable to go any faster than I was to begin with.

Woody

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious and devil’s advocating: How does someone driving the speed limit in the left lane create an unsafe condition?

Isn’t speeding and passing on the right generally unlawful and unsafe?

Last edited:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This law was intended to improve highway safety, not degrade it.
Hogwash! They weren't concerned with the public's "safety" till they have a budget shortfall?

Now all of a sudden they "care about my safety"? Oh I'm honored that they'd think of lil' ol me...

Safety.! HA.! They want me to be safe while I drive around 3ft holes in the roadway, dodge concrete falling off crumbling bridges, and stratle washboards that you could do laundry on? HA! Safety.!
This law is nothing but a revenue booster. The fact that they lie about why they enacted it makes it even worse.

There's 2 things Liberals ALWAYS allude to when trying to pass junk legislation.

1) It's for the Children.
2) It's to keep you Safe.

Don't fall for that $^*&.!

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe so, but are there any statistics that show this to be a good law beyond a revenue source and an excuse to pull someone over for some 'suspicious' activity for which there is no evidence beyond suspicion? I can see it being a law enforcement tool like being pulled over for an illegal lane change and finding a stash of drugs or some such. But, other than being a law to hopefully clear the left lane of pokey drivers, has it saved lives in those states where such a law has been in effect - and enforced - that showed a decline in highway accidents, injuries, and deaths?

Don't get me wrong by thinking I am opposed to pulling over to let someone pass. I am aware of approaching traffic from behind and I will pull over as soon as I have completed my passing, but if I'm in the left lane in high traffic, I will not yield to someone who is behind me if I can't speed up or would have to slow down to pull over into the lane on my right just to let someone 'take my place' in the higher speed lane only for that driver to be unable to go any faster than I was to begin with.

Woody

First, you don't have a single statistic to support this being a revenue generation scheme. You sound like the lefties crying "blood in the streets" after passing CCW laws. Just because you see no use in the law doesn't mean many others do. This law's most important benefit should be driver awareness, not revenue. I'm open to the possibility that it might wind up being misapplied, but we need to wait until the evidence of such presents itself. And no one is asking you to pull over just so someone can take your place in a line of traffic. The law isn't written that way and as above, you'll have justification to complain if it's misapplied.

Hogwash! They weren't concerned with the public's "safety" till they have a budget shortfall?

Now all of a sudden they "care about my safety"? Oh I'm honored that they'd think of lil' ol me...

Safety.! HA.! They want me to be safe while I drive around 3ft holes in the roadway, dodge concrete falling off crumbling bridges, and stratle washboards that you could do laundry on? HA! Safety.!
This law is nothing but a revenue booster. The fact that they lie about why they enacted it makes it even worse.

There's 2 things Liberals ALWAYS allude to when trying to pass junk legislation.

1) It's for the Children.
2) It's to keep you Safe.

Don't fall for that $^*&.!

Not hogwash at all. Many of us have wanted left lane laws AND enforcement for a long time. And yet again, you're misrepresenting the law and how it's written. Sad. :(

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel "safer" already...

wzHK4a4.jpg

thEcDjm.jpg

nw5rcl8.jpg

SH-11_bridge_repairs_March_2015_2web.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom