So I got pulled over.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I took my ccw class, I was informed that it was up to the officer's disgression wether or not he asked where it was or to retrieve and hold/clear it for the duration of the stop. They probably just chalk it up to how they feel. At the end of the day they are just like all the rest of us, they just want to go home safely.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly if the officer feels safer for what ever reason I see no reason not to comply.

Out of the 10 or so times I've had to inform an officer I was carrying in the last 15 years - not one has ever asked me for my gun -- just where it was.

but I have no problem handing it over if they want it

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me in TX. As said earlier it's officer's discretion. I had no problem with it at all. If he feels safer....I feel safer.

Only difference is, he asked me not to reload until he was back in his car.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive never heard of them handling and clearing your weapon. Im going to ask my sergeant about that.

It's officer discretion. A few will make it a habit of disarming each CCW holder for the duration of the stop, some will never do it. I'd advise trusting your instincts. If the person is compliant, follows the rules and gives no reason to suspect them of anything, I wouldn't disarm. If they make those little hairs on the back of your neck stand up, disregard the CCW permit and disarm until you figure out why. At the end of the day, going home alive is the ultimate goal.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the cruiser he brought up my info on his laptop, he showed me that next to my name was the letters HD letting him know I have my CCW ( I was unaware that was attached to my license) then he thanked me for following procedure correctly.

Since you want to be all mysterious with your location (Obendorf???), how about you just tell us what state you were in when this exchange took place.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, title 21 1290.8 E. "Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize a law enforcement officer to inspect any weapon properly concealed without probable cause that a crime has been committed"

The teacher of my CC class told us to memorize this and keep a copy of the book with us in case of such a request. Although If asked, I would probably hand it over, but let the officer know he was breaking the rules in doing so.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, title 21 1290.8 E. "Nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize a law enforcement officer to inspect any weapon properly concealed without probable cause that a crime has been committed"

The teacher of my CC class told us to memorize this and keep a copy of the book with us in case of such a request. Although If asked, I would probably hand it over, but let the officer know he was breaking the rules in doing so.

Inspection of the weapon is probably the last thing on the officer's mind. When you tell an officer you have a weapon, CCW or not, he has the option of securing the weapon for the duration of the contact. This is officer safety 101, not a weapons inspection. A weapons inspection would be to determine if the weapon had been used in a crime, or was listed as stolen in NCIC.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the cruiser he brought up my info on his laptop, he showed me that next to my name was the letters HD letting him know I have my CCW ( I was unaware that was attached to my license) then he thanked me for following procedure correctly.

Since you want to be all mysterious with your location (Obendorf???), how about you just tell us what state you were in when this exchange took place.

Oklahoma.......:slap:

OK, now it's time for a knowledgable LEO or trooper to share with us how this came about since OSBI does not collect DL# info on the SDA application that would allow these databases (DL to SDA) to be cross-referenced. Further, the reason OK is not accepted as reciprocal in NV is because this is supposedly not possible. Further, since I regularly hear troopers calling dispatch for records checks (28/29/42/43/44/triple I), I am wondering about this particular trooper having that capability on an in-car computer system. Not doubting HKCHEF at all, just a point of curiosity.

Inquiring minds want to know....:popcorn:

Latest posts

Top Bottom