So I have a question about thumb safeties

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pistols without thumb safeties is all but the norm nowadays and the main reasoning that I hear is because under distress you are more likely to botch the safety and a superior gun for self-defense does not need one.

If that is the reasoning, do you guys remove the safeties from your self defense rifles? I'm not trying to start an argument but honest question I thought about tonight while patrolling the backyard for pests with my thumb at the ready to flip the switch.
I will not be taking the safety off of my rifle, just thought it could be an interesting discussion.

I guess the main caveat here is that most pistols without a safety are striker fire or double action while most rifles are going to be single action so maybe that's the main reason?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pistols without thumb safeties is all but the norm nowadays and the main reasoning that I hear is because under distress you are more likely to botch the safety and a superior gun for self-defense does not need one.

If that is the reasoning, do you guys remove the safeties from your self defense rifles? I'm not trying to start an argument but honest question I thought about tonight while patrolling the backyard for pests with my thumb at the ready to flip the switch.
I will not be taking the safety off of my rifle, just thought it could be an interesting discussion.

I guess the main caveat here is that most pistols without a safety are striker fire or double action while most rifles are going to be single action so maybe that's the main reason?
I am in the camp of definitely not. Somehow, the word premeditated comes to mind.

I would be really hesitant to change, improve, or adjust, anything on my self defense gun.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not necessarily saying to modify one, that was possibly a poor choice of words. But rifles used to not have safeties and then they got lawyered and started to have safeties on them and it's pretty similar with pistols but then pistols have changed and they don't have safeties as much anymore so our rifles going to go with the same way?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer the thumb safety on all my handguns. It’s just another layer of safety. It’s only a matter of practicing/dry firing to get the muscle memory of taking off the safety on the draw. In fact I don’t realize I have taken it off when drawing but it always is off.
Same here. I grew up on single action revolvers and cocking on the draw. Simple for me to change that to taking off the safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom