So ... LoneWolf'49 is in SSSOOOOOO much trouble now ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure it is. It's an Okie's response to the rest of the world, just like Sooner--we ****ing OWN that word your ignorant mind thinks is an insult. As the line in Oklahoma Rising says, "I choke back the emotion, I'm an Okie and I'm proud, so when you call me Okie, man, you'd better say it loud!"

I'm trying to determine if you intended this post as an insult or not. That's how it reads.

I do not like the term "Okie," Period. I am the child of people who lived through the depression, though they chose to stay and nearly starve rather than joining the westward migration. I was raised on the doctrine that "Okies" were quitters.

As an adult, my ignorant mind did manage to pick up on the fact that some Oklahomans wear the term with pride. I am just not one of them. I usually just don't respond when the term is applied to me, but internally it grates on me. Not as much as being called ignorant, as your post seems to do, but it grates nonetheless.

I love Oklahoma, with all its warts, and it has plenty of those, but to quote the immortal Kevin Klein as Otto, "Don't call me stupid."

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if you intended this post as an insult or not. That's how it reads.
You and Hump are misreading it; no offense is intended to either of you. It's a statement of why Oklahomans embraced the terms "Sooner" and "Okie," both of which were intended to be insults to us. It is, in other words, Oklahomans saying to the rest of the world that you can't use those words to insult us because we're taking them for our own.

Edit to clarify--the "ignorant mind" are those who would use Okie or Sooner as insults.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife likes to batter and fry the small okra pods whole. The ones about two to three inches long. I am sure that is not what the thread is about but they are good that way and it is easier to dip them in ranch dressing if they are whole.

If ya boil them at that stage, you don't even have to chew.. Just let them slither down the gullet... I love the dried fried ones.. They are definitely addictive...

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fried Okra, a mess of Collards, "real" cornbread(made in a flat cast iron skillet) and butterbeans, aaahhhh to die for!

The real cornbread I remember was made with the rendered lard from the hogs.. It had the cracklins right in the cornbread.. My body still craves that taste..

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The real cornbread I remember was made with the rendered lard from the hogs.. It had the cracklins right in the cornbread.. My body still craves that taste..

No kidding. This last year or so I've started cooking a lot more from scratch. And I've been using "real" ingredients ... real butter, real lard, homegrown eggs and meat, etc. It is amazing how much more satisfying and filling food is that doesn't have all the chemicals in it that you get from store-bought stuff.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You and Hump are misreading it; no offense is intended to either of you. It's a statement of why Oklahomans embraced the terms "Sooner" and "Okie," both of which were intended to be insults to us. It is, in other words, Oklahomans saying to the rest of the world that you can't use those words to insult us because we're taking them for our own.

Edit to clarify--the "ignorant mind" are those who would use Okie or Sooner as insults.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I had a flashback.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right on schedule. Page three and already off topic. We have went fron okra to the dust bowl to California to culturally derogatory epithets that stir pride in our state and personal histories to home style comfort foods. Soooo, I have a question.

Has anyone ever tried okra in a smoker? It would have to be good. I would use that seasoning mix just above here with the Cavenders in it.

I am thinking a low heat dry smoke where it would be like a smoky dehydrator. Dried, seasoned, and smoke flavor. Maybe add some cayenne or hot sauce to chenry's seasoning mix.

I have put new potatoes in a smoker and they were good.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried okra in a smoker? It would have to be good. I would use that seasoning mix just above here with the Cavenders in it.
I've never tried it, but now that you mention it, I vaguely remember seeing smoked okra somewhere. Maybe the United in Purcell; I used to occasionally find interesting things there (like glass bottle cane sugar Dr. Pepper)...

Latest posts

Top Bottom