I almost died 5 years ago "today"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So 10/14/2012 a friend comes over to help me do some maintenance on my car. Nothing major, but man I was dragging. We finally got it done and he asked what I wanted to do next, and I said I'm done for the day which was around 7pm (pretty early for me). I got inside and at 7:17 post on FB "At least I get to watch one football game today...if I can stay awake". I go in, start watching the Sunday Night game and fall asleep. Next thing I know there's banging on the door, its my buddy Troy (who is a doctor).
Troy: Adam, I'm coming in
Me: OK
Troy: how are you feeling?
Me: Tired
Troy: What day is it?
Me: Idunno
Troy : When was the last time you drank anything?
Me: Idunno
Troy: I'm taking you to the hospital
Me: OK

So I get up, nearly fall over and work my way to the bathroom where I pee the darkest pee I've ever seen. I stagger out to his Trailblazer SS and he hauls ass to the Hospital. We go in, start the paperwork and he tells them whats going on and I get admitted. Now...come to find out, it is now TUESDAY and I've basically slept for 2 days straight, no food, no water...just clean knocked out. Apparently, my friends and family had been texting like normal with no reply which was abnormal, and on Wednesday afternoon my mom posted on my FB page "Idunno if you're mad at me or what but you arent returning any of my messages". One of my other friends saw and said I wasnt responding to him either, but he did call me and I chewed him out and cussed at him for no reason. Apparently I answered the phone screaming at him in my daze, agreed to a price on a gun his friend was interested in and went back to sleep, this being sometime Monday or Tuesday. Anywho, I get admitted and am severly dehydrated, still crazy tired and nobody knows what the heck would cause me to sleep for 3 days straight and the weird behavior. They run tests and narrow it down to a few possibilities, one of which requires a spinal tap to diagnose. Doctor brings the spinal tap in and tells me to lean over and be still, and he inserts the needle into my spine. He hits a never and I jump and he says "can you feel your toes?" Uh, yeah. "Ok, we're good" and continues on. He pulls the needle out, informs me it wasnt long enough and has to repeat the process. Take 2 went better and they get the sample they need and send it off to the lab and admit me to the Kickdown Unit (one step under Intensive Care). I stay for a few days when the tests come back with a diagnosis: Viral Encephalitis aka a viral infection of the brain that causes swelling. There's really no known cause, apparently its kinda like a cold and you can just get it...and there's no really solid treatment except relieving pressure if it gets too high and just waiting it out. Luckily the facebook stuff happened and my Doctor friend sprung to action. I spent about a week in the hospital. Doctors said if I was left there for another 24 hours I'd probably be dead, so I got lucky there. It took me 3 months before I could go back to work again. Up until that day, I never drove anywhere. I was not comfortable driving and got dizzy in the car so anytime I had to go somewhere, I had to have a friend take me...for 3 months. It was like a total system reboot. I was exhausted from just RIDING to the store with a friend and getting some quick groceries for dinner. I'd eat dinner and have to sleep for another 12 hours. My body had no temperature regulation for over a year. Several times I almost passed out from a QUICK fever (20 minute "hot flash" basically) and extreme sweats while sitting outside trying to cool off in the December weather. I remember one incident it happened while I was at the store with family and my options were to pass out or sit in the refrigerator at the store and soak up the cold. I got cooled off enough that they took me home where I sat in the house around Thanksgiving, windows open and fan on trying to cool off. Once it started getting warm, I couldnt be outside in the "heat" (above 80) degrees for any amount of time when before then I could be outside in 100 degree heat all day working on cars with friends. It took me 2 or 3 years to get my temperature regulation "back to normal" which really sucked. The Neurologist told me basically any "symptoms" I still have after 60 days "will be your new normal" which was also encouraging. Every stepping stone that happened, where a "switch" flips and you realize you got over one of those symptoms, you start to realize how bad off you were. Its a really weird thing to happen, and there's been some life changing things I now get to "deal" with that are really hard to get used to even after 5 years. The two main ones, which are very odd....I lost ALOT of my temper. People who know me now find it hard to believe how short my fuse used to be, but I could go from 0 to 100 if somebody so much as looked at me sideways and it was all bad. I still can get pretty bent, but it takes ALOT. My mom says its a good thing, my friends think its weird. The weirdest lasting symptom to me though, is I now have emotions I never had before. I cant explain it, but I never gave two shits about you or them or anybody else and what they thought of me, etc. I dont get all worked up about it but having "feelings" about things and for people is a weird thing to get when you're an adult, especially when you were so cold inside for all your life before then. I think it sucks, but who knows, maybe thats how normal people are and I wasnt normal until this whole incident.

There's really no point in this post...just thought I'd share and my apologies it turned into a novel. Obviously as long as it was, its the cliff notes...but it was the craziest thing I've ever gone through and wouldnt wish it on anyone.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very scary, and glad you made it through. I'll tell you, it sounds like it took some time to come up with a diagnosis and you kinda breezed through that part of it in the story - not sure how long it took or how much stress was ongoing up until that point. But it isn't always just a cut and dried process to diagnose some things - and something like this can take a while and lots of rounds of testing. I wish more people knew or realized or accepted that.

I hear so many complaints, catch so much sh|t, have to deal with so many pissed off people because they can't get not only a diagnosis, but a cure for their common cold or stomach "flu" in an hour or two in the Emergency Room. I would go on and on, because this subject is one of those, "You know what really grinds my gears?" kind of subjects, and I would get lost in typing for hours, really. And people would probably hate me afterwards. And I'd be on every watch list out there, from the FBI and NSA to PETA, BLM and whatever Bloomberg group found out about it.

But seriously, folks - even with all the medical services, devices, physicians of various specialties and diagnostic testing we have available, sometimes it takes a while to figure things out. And some of this sh|tshow we call life is pretty complicated stuff.

Aiight?

Back to OP, glad to have you around, man. Hope you continue to get better.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very scary, and glad you made it through. I'll tell you, it sounds like it took some time to come up with a diagnosis and you kinda breezed through that part of it in the story - not sure how long it took or how much stress was ongoing up until that point. But it isn't always just a cut and dried process to diagnose some things - and something like this can take a while and lots of rounds of testing. I wish more people knew or realized or accepted that.

I hear so many complaints, catch so much sh|t, have to deal with so many pissed off people because they can't get not only a diagnosis, but a cure for their common cold or stomach "flu" in an hour or two in the Emergency Room. I would go on and on, because this subject is one of those, "You know what really grinds my gears?" kind of subjects, and I would get lost in typing for hours, really. And people would probably hate me afterwards. And I'd be on every watch list out there, from the FBI and NSA to PETA, BLM and whatever Bloomberg group found out about it.

But seriously, folks - even with all the medical services, devices, physicians of various specialties and diagnostic testing we have available, sometimes it takes a while to figure things out. And some of this sh|tshow we call life is pretty complicated stuff.

Aiight?

Back to OP, glad to have you around, man. Hope you continue to get better.

I was basically in a trance and was letting Troy take care of dealing with the other doctors, if Troy said I needed to do it I did. There were CT scans, EKG's and all kinds of bloodwork being done and seemingly every kind of doctor in my room every half an hour asking their questions and doing their poking around. Everything got ruled out except the Viral Encephalitis which they needed the spinal fluid to officially diagnose. So in reality, I was awake and responsive enough that I was discharged with a good guess as to what it was, but not an official diagnosis until a few days after I was discharged when the test finally came back. When I was discharged I lived at Troys house for a month or so...his wife kept an eye on me and he checked in a few times a day while he was at work.
I also got a bad case of Thrush while there and couldnt eat anything while in the hospital...it hurt bad to even drink water. It was "fun" times. Between the initial sleep and Thrush at the hospital, I didnt eat for like 8 days.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that we sometimes forget, or at least don't realize, the value of some of our friends. I don't know you or this "Troy" that you write of, but I'd say the two of you are very good friends about now. I'm a religious person, so I'd say God also was your friend.

Good luck with both your friends and relatives and your health.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, Troy is not just a friend, but family. Maybe not by blood, but you know what I'm referring to. When this was going on my Mom signed over "custody" of me to him to call the shots while she was 1,000 miles away.
This all happened when I lived in Waco and even though I live in Tulsa now, I still visit Troy and family probably more than anybody. (Ex: First Coyote thread: thats his rig, as I was visiting this weekend coincidentally). One of those people I never have to ask if I can swing by unannounced as there's always a room for me and I can show up whenever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom